April 24, 2024, 12:56:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Dielectric Strength Prediction  (Read 3186 times)

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Dielectric Strength Prediction
« on: May 21, 2015, 05:47:29 AM »
Are there any good heuristics to predict the dielectric strength of gases? In particular SF6 is a well known gaseous insulator. A replacement is proposed by way of hexafluoroacetone.

I was wondering how would hexafluoroethane or hexafluoropropane perform? Perhaps lab data is available on the simpler molecules but for the rest any way to obtain a prediction.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Dielectric Strength Prediction
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 06:02:36 PM »
Alas, I don't have my books here... Some qualitative elements:
  • Users want the insulating gas to stay gaseous in cold weather, and even under pressure, since pressure*distance determines the insulating voltage. So CF4 is a well-known insulator, longer CxFy are not common.
  • Do CxFy decompose to graphite and CF4 in a spark? SF6 and CF4 recompose spontaneously - perfluoroacetone maybe too.
  • Electronegative atoms are desired: fluorine, oxygen. They quench the already formed spark, allegedly as electron getters. For instance dry nitrogen is used for its high ionization potential but usually not alone, since little CF4 improves it much.
  • But fluorinated molecules are ozone killers, so designers want to get rid of them, not only SF6. Hexafluoroacetone is a temporary solution. This is a stone in the high-voltage garden.
  • The future is probably to generalize vacuum insulation. It's more efficient than gases, contains no halogens, and is already used.
Call to researchers: Mankind has too little knowledge about the electric breakdown of vacuum and needs more. We don't even know the breakdown mechanisms, and models are inaccurate.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 04:39:40 AM »
Hexafluoroacetone is a temporary solution. This is a stone in the high-voltage garden.[/li][/list]

Thanks @Enthalpy!

Can you expound on what you mean by that last bit? Thanks!

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 05:32:39 AM »
Hexafluoroacetone is toxic. Nothing tragic for chemists, but for high-voltage workers it's an issue.
It's hygroscopic, and if hydrated it shouldn't stay a good insulator, at least intuitively - so the procedures must be complicated.
It liquefies at -27°C so it can't be used under pressure in most climates. This limits its insulation capabiity.

Perfluoroalkanes would avoid the humidity absorption and toxicity, but I suppose they don't rebuild spontaneously after a spark. SF6 and N2 do, maybe perfluoroacetone too because it contains enough oxidizing elements.

One worry common to all is the greenhouse effect - not necessarily the ozone depletion, for which perfluoroalkanes are considered acceptable, my mistake. This webpage lists the Global Warming Potential (in CO2 equivalent) of several gases
http://unfccc.int/ghg_data/items/3825.php
and perfluoroalkanes are only 2-3 times less bad than SF6 which is a fantastic insulator.

As a gut feeling, we'll replace SF6 by vacuum everywhere possible, and elsewhere by N2 which isn't fantastic but accepts a high pressure.

Sponsored Links