April 16, 2024, 08:04:07 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reaction?  (Read 2864 times)

Offline PartsPerMillion87

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Reaction?
« on: May 23, 2015, 05:24:26 PM »
Would monopotassium phosphate react with calcium hypochlorite? I wanted to make a dry mix of 250 g of monopotassium phosphate to 1 gram of calcium hypochlorite? If they are stable dry, would that change when dissolved in water?

Also, would I be able to add insole-3-butyric acid potassium salts?

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Reaction?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 06:45:11 AM »
For what you need this strange mixture. I think if it get wet chlorine gas will devloped.

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 07:44:11 PM »
Would monopotassium phosphate react with calcium hypochlorite? I wanted to make a dry mix of 250 g of monopotassium phosphate to 1 gram of calcium hypochlorite? If they are stable dry, would that change when dissolved in water?

hypochlorites  are not stable

Offline snorkack

• Mole Snacks: +5/-1
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 08:20:52 AM »
They probably would react when wet, and not in a dry mix.

HClO is a weak acid. pKa +7,52. Slightly weaker than the second base of phosphoric acid (pKa 7,21). In a dilute aqueous solution of NaClO, the equilibrium should be on the side of HClO, slightly.
But it isnĀ“t NaClO. It is Ca(ClO)2.
The insolubility of CaHPO4 should drive the reaction to completion even in a dilute solution:
KH2PO4+Ca(ClO)2 =CaHPO4 :spindown:+KClO+HClO
But a wet powder is not a dilute solution. No, it should not evolve chlorine in the absence of a reducer. It should evolve Cl2O:
2KH2PO4+Ca(ClO)2 =CaHPO4 :spindown:+K2HPO4+H2O+Cl2O :spinup:

Actually, HClO looks slightly like H2CO3. Both are weak acids (H2CO3 pKa is 6,35) and liable to evolve gases.
Dry mixes of NaHCO3 with dry solid acids like citric acids are stable, but evolve gas when wet. I expect that dry mixes of Ca(ClO)2 with dry solid acids should do the same.
What is that "insole-3-butyric acid"?

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 08:28:45 AM »
In my opinion the precipitation will be Ca3(PO4)2. We use KH2PO4 what means fre HClO will be set free. This dispproortionate to Chlorate and Chloride. Chloride it self will react with hypochlorite ans develop chlorine.

Sponsored Links