March 28, 2024, 04:23:08 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Term for element that attracts/repels electrons, and info on valence electrons?  (Read 1613 times)

Offline derexitus

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I'm trying to figure out the term for elements with 1-3 valence electrons that attract electrons and elements with 5-8 valence electrons that are less likely to release their electrons(please tell me if there is a term or if it is simply labeled as reactive/unreactive).
Also, I'm a bit confused on how valence electrons are identified. In my physical science class, I was taught that Valence electrons (from groups 1-2/13-18)were -3, -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, +3, +4 (or maybe signs were switched around), but I don't understand. If the valence electrons are the number of electrons in the outer shell, why was it organized like this?
Lastly, Is it possible for an element to have more than 8 electrons in its outer shell? Or will it take 8 electrons in one shell and send the extras that do not make enough for a perfect shell into the next orbital?

Sorry if any of this sounds a bit confusing. It's my first time here, and I'm a bit uneducated about chemistry, but I promise to learn more (and possibly expand my vocabulary for an easier understanding)...(I probably should've posted this in the high school forum) Please ask any questions if there is something in here that you don't understand.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:05:10 AM by derexitus »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
I'm trying to figure out the term for elements with 1-3 valence electrons that attract electrons and elements with 5-8 valence electrons that are less likely to release their electrons(please tell me if there is a term or if it is simply labeled as reactive/unreactive).

There's not areally good term for this concept -- unless you want to call something that donates an electron to another atom  a metal, and something that accepts eletrons, and completes its valence shell a non-metal.  Example sodium and chlorine in sodium chloride.

Also, I'm a bit confused on how valence electrons are identified. In my physical science class, I was taught that Valence electrons (from groups 1-2/13-18)were -3, -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, +3, +4 (or maybe signs were switched around), but I don't understand. If the valence electrons are the number of electrons in the outer shell, why was it organized like this?

So maybe this is a question about the layout of the periodic table?  You can look that up, its a long story, but as you learn your answer, you'll pick up other important concepts.

Lastly, Is it possible for an element to have more than 8 electrons in its outer shell? Or will it take 8 electrons in one shell and send the extras that do not make enough for a perfect shell into the next orbital?

Yes, this is how some compounds form, for example, the compounds of the noble gases.

Sorry if any of this sounds a bit confusing. It's my first time here, and I'm a bit uneducated about chemistry, but I promise to learn more (and possibly expand my vocabulary for an easier understanding)...(I probably should've posted this in the high school forum) Please ask any questions if there is something in here that you don't understand.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links