April 20, 2024, 12:54:35 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Thermo XSeries II ICP-MS passwords and manuals  (Read 7596 times)

Offline agoo

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Thermo XSeries II ICP-MS passwords and manuals
« on: May 31, 2015, 07:20:05 AM »
Hello All

We have got a donated Thermo XSeriesII ICP-MS but it has no manuals and we don't know default passwords. I found a few manuals online but still don't know default passwords (engineer password and RF password). Anyone knows the passwords or knows where to find these passwords inside the manuals?

Agoo

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Default passwords for Thermo XSeriesII ICP-MS
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 02:39:40 PM »
have you tried to contact Thermo Scientific?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 06:06:29 PM »
Or whoever donated it to you, its possible they changed the passwords away from default.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline agoo

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 08:56:25 PM »
I had to buy a new computer and install the software from scratch. Passwords should be default ones. Still no response from Thermo yet.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 06:55:36 AM »
Sometimes companies are loath to help people who've gotten donated equipment, they'd rather you bought from them new, and don't want to be on the hook for problems you'll encounter from nearly worn out equipment.  You should keep trying, or search for the ability to purchase or download the user manual.  And someone my find this thread and provide the answer for you.

Offline marquis

• Mole Snacks: +35/-3
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 10:26:42 AM »
You might also check to see if there is a dongle that attaches to the computer.
They are very small, sometimes attached to a usb port also used for a printer.

A lot of software checks for the dongle.  No dongle, the software wont work.

Offline agoo

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 08:43:11 PM »
If anyone has the "Service Manual" for the Thermo XSeries II ICP-MS or XSeries I that will help a great deal. Passwords are in there too.

Mod edit: email removed. If anyone want's to contact you, they can do so through the forum PM system.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 12:22:47 PM by Borek »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 12:33:12 PM »
One more thing you can try, check primary literature for this particular model of instrument.  If you find one located at an institution, university or the like, where you know someone working, you can ask them for help.  I really can't think of anything else you can try.  Maybe do that the other way 'round, ask people you know at universities or institution if they use this model of instrument, and if they have an answer for you.

Offline agoo

Thermo XSeries II ICP-MS manuals?
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 01:32:19 AM »
I am looking for Thermo "X series fault finding guide" and "x series icp-ms training course" manuals for our XSeries2 ICP-MS instrument. This is very important to us.

Agoo

Mod edit: Email removed. If someone wants to contact you privately, they can do so via PM. See Forum Rules. Dan
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 02:10:00 AM by Dan »

Offline agoo

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 01:38:49 AM »
Thank you all. I did a lot of progress so far. Still looking for the "X series fault finding guide" and "X series icp-ms training course" manuals.

Agoo

Offline Pastychomper

Re: Thermo XSeries II ICP-MS passwords and manuals
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 09:49:33 AM »
I've used the XSeries II for a few years now, sorry I can't help with the manuals - there are usually some fairly basic manuals included on Thermo's install CDs, but beyond that they don't seem to be very forthcoming with them.

My experience is that, as with a lot of modern mass specs, the instruments need regular servicing from someone who knows what they're doing because some obscure part or other is always wearing out or going out of alignment - though to be fair we do use them pretty heavily.  Depending on your technical prowess and budget, it might be worth forking out for one of Thermo's service contracts. They seem to much prefer working with people who are already on their books, and they do seem to give their money's worth.  Or rather, they do a good job - I'm not the one paying!  :P

On the other hand, the Xseries is very modular and probably easy enough to maintain if you can get hold of the parts and instructions.  We're in a fairly remote location here, so we've often had the engineers post us parts and talk us through the repairs, which tend to be easy enough for anyone who can wield a screwdriver.

Edit: Agoo, I've sent you a suggestion about the password.

Sponsored Links