April 25, 2024, 01:17:00 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Tips for ACS Organic Chemistry test.  (Read 8135 times)

Offline Molaris

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Tips for ACS Organic Chemistry test.
« on: June 17, 2015, 04:53:29 AM »
Hey everyone! I will be taking the year long cumulative ACS test for organic chemistry in a few days. I was wondering if any of you have tips, i.e. what would you recommend I study/review the most? I know it is kind of a broad question considering it is a cumulative test, but if anyone has taken the ACS test for O-Chem, what did you notice on the test the most? I would assume reaction mechanisms and synthesis will be the main theme of the exam.

Offline Molaris

Re: Tips for ACS Organic Chemistry test.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 01:36:12 PM »
I guess nooooo one has taken this? LoL. Perhaps I asked on the wrong forum. lol.

Offline be7cailay

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 12:06:51 AM »
Hey everyone! I will be taking the year long cumulative ACS test for organic chemistry in a few days. I was wondering if any of you have tips, i.e. what would you recommend I study/review the most? I know it is kind of a broad question considering it is a cumulative test, but if anyone has taken the ACS test for O-Chem, what did you notice on the test the most? I would assume reaction mechanisms and synthesis will be the main theme of the exam.

Review knowledge of Topics in Study Guide given by ACS and practice all problems in the book, the you will be fine.
IMO, it was an easy exam compared to lecture exams. If you have solid understanding of Ochem, you are good to go.
Exam questions are not tricky but require you to understand what areas of ochem the questions are testing you. Ex: Typical reactions of Carbonyl Carbon, double bond, triple bonds, alkyl halide, etc.
Pay attention to Regioselectivity & Stereoselectivity so that you can choose the product correctly. Ex: Inversion of stereocenter in SN2. Mixture of stereoisomers in SN1. Where to add substituent to the ring so that the product has stable structure.

Source: As in both Ochem 1 and 2.

Offline orgo814

• Mole Snacks: +11/-6
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 06:23:22 PM »
It is not an easy exam but you can definitely do well on it if you prepare adequately. Use the book they give you as it gives you an idea of how they ask their questions

Sponsored Links