March 28, 2024, 09:19:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Can air molecule pass through a paper?  (Read 5763 times)

Offline jessiesee

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Can air molecule pass through a paper?
« on: June 16, 2015, 04:14:11 PM »
I know that there are a lot of kinds of paper, but the paper that I am asking in this question is the paper what we write on, print on - like a letter size paper or sketching paper.

Considering that paper is made of cellulose, a cell wall of plants, I think air molecules can pass through paper, but only a little amount.

1. Is there a scientific evident or source that can explain this question? I need scientific information regarding this question.  ??? ???

2. Also, is the diameter or overall size of air molecule bigger than water molecule?

3. Can air penetrate plant cell wall, or any kinds of cell membranes?

Thanks for your help in advance!!  :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Can air molecule pass through a paper?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 05:37:41 PM »
You have to show your attempts at solving the question, this is a forum policy.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline jessiesee

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 05:45:13 PM »
You have to show your attempts at solving the question, this is a forum policy.
I already indicated that I've think that because of the consideration of cellulose and so on.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 07:03:37 PM »
I don't think your argument is polished enough to be worth pursuing vigorously.  However, let's try to work with it point by point.

I know that there are a lot of kinds of paper, but the paper that I am asking in this question is the paper what we write on, print on - like a letter size paper or sketching paper.

Its nice you decided to narrow down the question a bit, sometime people won't to start with.  However, its worth realizing that even writing paper is not always uniform in manufacture.  For that matter, its probably worthwhile to consider what actually a cell wall is, and what actually paper is.  Consider this:  an aluminum ladder, won't fly like an aluminum airplane.  Why not?

Considering that paper is made of cellulose, a cell wall of plants, I think air molecules can pass through paper, but only a little amount.

I think you need more than this.  What is the structure of a cell wall?  Does paper maintain such a structure?

1. Is there a scientific evident or source that can explain this question? I need scientific information regarding this question.

You could try to look it up in some secondary reference papers, trying to find some primary references.  Then again, its all your idea, maybe you should write the paper.  I can provide no primary reference the Earth is flat.  Well, none that I'd want you to rely on.  You can't blame me for that.

2. Also, is the diameter or overall size of air molecule bigger than water molecule?

3. Can air penetrate plant cell wall, or any kinds of cell membranes?

These are easily findable in references.  This is what Borek: meant in his reply.

Thanks for your help in advance!!  :)

Remember you wrote this when you respond to my questions.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline jessiesee

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 11:42:36 AM »
I searched for SEM images of paper, scaled in nm and mm. I could see spaces between fibers and assumed that air molecules will easily pass through those spaces since the size of the air molecule is very smaller than those, measured in angstrom. Is this thinking reasonable?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 12:44:04 PM »
WHat dimensions did you find for "air molecule?"
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 08:14:36 PM »
Pore size versus air molecules size is the proper approach in this particular case, and yes, air and water permeate paper.

Other materials have much smaller pores, or no porosity observable with the best microscopes, but some small diffusion can still be measured; it results from other processes then.

Sponsored Links