April 19, 2024, 07:38:26 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Swern Oxidation  (Read 6916 times)

Offline Senobim

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Swern Oxidation
« on: June 26, 2015, 12:48:50 PM »
Hi,

I have poorly soluble alcohol in DCM, though I need to perform Swern Oxidation on gram scale. Is there any other options, than to make alcohol solution?
I am not sure about reverse addition of oxidasing mixture to alcohol in DCM. Is it possible to add it as a solid?

Thanks in advance!

Offline pgk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +97/-24
Re: Swern Oxidation
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 01:05:56 PM »
Is it a highly lipophobic (highly hydrophilic) alcohol or a high molecular weight lipophilic one?
Is it soluble in DMSO?
What are any other functional groups in the molecule that might inhibit DCM solubility?

Offline Senobim

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 01:11:22 PM »
It is solluble in MeOH, not sure about DMSO though.

Offline pgk

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 01:27:54 PM »
Soluble in MeOH probably means either a small hydrophilic molecule or an aminalcohol or even an alcoholammonium salt.
Of course, you cannot use MeOH as a solvent in Swern oxidation. Besides and in terms of polarity, solubility in MeOH means high propabilty of solubilty in DMSO, too.
1). Soluble in DMSO: Add more amount of DMSO (say twice or triple and more), together with the equimolar amount of oxalyl chloride.
2). Aminalcohol and ammonium salt: There are specific Swern reagents that are (tosylate) surfactants (as well as highly lipophilic Swern reagents for high molecular weight lipophilic alcohols).
Please, indicatively see “recent literature” in the link, bellow:
http://www.organic-chemistry.org/namedreactions/swern-oxidation.shtm

Offline Senobim

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 01:39:03 PM »
so in principal i could make an alcohol solution in DMSO and add it to oxidasing mixture (oxalyl chloride + DMSO in DCM at -78)?

Offline pgk

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 01:54:56 PM »
You can try. But in principal, you need the equimolar amount of oxalyl chloride per DMSO mole, otherwise the excess of DMSO might destroy the intermediate suffonium salt and lead to low yields. Besides, the excess of reagents accelerates the reaction (kinetic control).

Offline Senobim

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 01:58:25 PM »
other option is to add alcohol as a solid, but I am not sure how reaction will proceed, any thoughts about that?

Offline pgk

• Chemist
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 02:16:15 PM »
The reaction of a solid in a liquid phase often demands a phase transfer catalyst (solid to liquid). A good phase transfer catalyst for this purpose would be an alkyldimethylsulfoxonium salt, e.g. Butyldimethylsulfoxonium iodide:
BuI + DMSO  → Bu(+)SOMe2, I(-)
But exceptionally, iodide phase transfer catalysts demand an equimolar addition per mole of the reagent and this might complicate the procedure. On the other hand, the preparation of other alkyldimethylsulfoxonium halides, is very difficult.
Try the excess of DMSO/(COCl)2 with a small amount of the alcohol in the minimum amount of DCM, for the beginning and see what they give.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 02:28:10 PM by pgk »

Offline Senobim

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 02:28:22 PM »
Problem is I can't prepare a solution of alcohol to transfer it to mixture of oxalyl chloride and DMSO

I can dissolve 200 mg in 30-35 ml of hot DCM, but on gram scale it doesn't work that well.

Offline pgk

• Chemist
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 02:32:50 PM »
Try to dissolve in unreacted DMSO/(COCl2) and then transfer to the active mixture of oxalyl chloride and DMSO. It might work.

Offline Senobim

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 02:40:44 PM »
what do you mean unreacted DMSO/(COCL)2?

Offline pgk

• Chemist
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 02:45:54 PM »
Dissolve in DMSO (if possible) and add the equimolar COCl2.

Offline Senobim

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 02:48:51 PM »
Thanks man, i'll try it on mondey and I will post a results!

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 03:56:24 AM »
I've run Swerns with a significant excess (2-3 fold) of DMSO compared with (COCl)2 before and they worked fine, so I doubt using DMSO as a cosolvent will be a problem.

A practical tip though: Adding a DMSO solution to a vessel at -78 °C tends to end up with a needle blocked with frozen DMSO, which is a total hassle. I recommend adding your alcohol in a DMSO/DCM mixture - the DCM is basically an antifreeze here, 20% DCM content should be enough to keep your needle clear during the addition.

THF can also be used for Swern oxidations. By analogy, I guess (but have not checked the lit.) that you could also use 1,4-dioxane or 1,2-dimethoxyethane. If any of those solvents will dissolve your starting material, they might be worth considering.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline pgk

• Chemist
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 04:51:50 AM »
Ethers and other oxygen containing solvents might be competitive, regarding the alcohol attack to the reactive intermediate.
Of course, all above are simple thoughts. Chemistry is an experimental science and therefore, everything must be tested and verified on the bench. The essential information is that Swern oxidation works fine, with excess of DMSO (many thanks).

Sponsored Links