March 28, 2024, 05:29:38 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: MEA + Formalin  (Read 3020 times)

Offline aimdipu

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
MEA + Formalin
« on: June 28, 2015, 05:06:27 AM »
What would be formed if MEA is reacted with formalin(37%) in different ratios?1:1,1:1.25, 1:1.5, 1:2

The reaction is exothermic. Is it possible to add these reagents in a 5500 USG vessel upto half of the vessel, will it react and pop out? Note:there is no any cooling options
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 08:32:12 AM by aimdipu »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: MEA + Formalin
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 07:03:21 AM »
You're going to have to define your reactants better.  MEA could mean anything, and formalin may have a common industry definition, but could technically be any concentration of formaldehyde in water.

Once we were reasonably sure, or at least knew the ranges of concentrations, we could theorize how much heat is generated, and how much of that heat could be absorbed by water's heat capacity.  Assuming we don't end up with two phases floating on each other.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline aimdipu

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 07:09:03 AM »
You're going to have to define your reactants better.  MEA could mean anything, and formalin may have a common industry definition, but could technically be any concentration of formaldehyde in water.

Once we were reasonably sure, or at least knew the ranges of concentrations, we could theorize how much heat is generated, and how much of that heat could be absorbed by water's heat capacity.  Assuming we don't end up with two phases floating on each other.
MEA is Monoethanaloamine

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 07:19:52 AM »
This summary of a patent judgement defines the products of this reaction: http://www.jurisdiction.com/bakervcanwellfca.htm  There are probably other Googleable references to the heat generated, given the process is so well known.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links