April 25, 2024, 06:07:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Electrochemistry  (Read 1787 times)

Offline T

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Electrochemistry
« on: June 28, 2015, 11:10:44 PM »
Hello,
I have been learning about electrochemistry and I am not sure what some of the things are.

What are half cell equations and overall equations? Are they
Cu2+ + 2e-=Cu? Or is it the same thing as a cell diagram?

Also what are reference electrodes? Are they like the standard hydrogen electrodes? Are there other reference electrodes commonly used?

Also what is standard reduction potentials. Is it just the table with the voltage of different elements relative to the hydrogen electrode? Or is it more than that?

Thank you very much, I apologise if I am confusing.

Offline T

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Electrodeposition of metals
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 11:33:54 PM »
Hello, I need to study electrodeposition of metals but I can't find anything on it in my textbook and on the internet.

I found electroplating instead, are they the same thing?

Could someone give me a brief overview on electrodeposition of metals or tell me how I can learn it?

Thanks

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Electrochemistry
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 02:45:41 AM »
Most of these things can be answered just by checking the common internet sources - try to google, try wikipedia.

What are half cell equations and overall equations? Are they
Cu2+ + 2e-=Cu? Or is it the same thing as a cell diagram?

These are three separate things. Redox process consist of reduction (one half cell) and oxidation (another half cell). Each process can be written as an equation where electrons are produced or consumed - these are half cell reactions. When you combine them, you will get overall reaction (and electrons will cancel out). Cell notation is a way of describing the system not in terms of reactions, but in terms of their construction.

Also what are reference electrodes? Are they like the standard hydrogen electrodes? Are there other reference electrodes commonly used?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reference_electrode

Also what is standard reduction potentials. Is it just the table with the voltage of different elements relative to the hydrogen electrode? Or is it more than that?

Not of elements, but of half cells. Permanganate is a strong oxidizer, one of the reduction reactions it undergos is

MnO4- + e-  :rarrow: MnO42-

This reaction has a standard reduction potential of 0.564 V. No elements here, just an oxyacid anion.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links