April 20, 2024, 12:43:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Combining half cells  (Read 2111 times)

Offline T

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Combining half cells
« on: July 02, 2015, 12:24:42 AM »
When you combine a copper half cell and a zinc half cell with a wire; over a period of time will the mass of the zinc electrode decrease while the copper electrode increase?

My logic is that since zinc is a stronger reductant it will oxidise, the electrons will travel to the copper electrode and the copper ions will turn to copper because of Le Chatelier's principle.

Thanks

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Combining half cells
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 02:49:35 AM »
When you combine a copper half cell and a zinc half cell with a wire; over a period of time will the mass of the zinc electrode decrease while the copper electrode increase?

Yes, that's the direct application of the activity series. More active metal replaces the less active metal in the solution.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
Re: Combining half cells
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 12:28:24 AM »

My logic is that since zinc is a stronger reductant it will oxidise, the electrons will travel to the copper electrode and the copper ions will turn to copper because of Le Chatelier's principle.

Thanks
so mass of Zn will reduce

Sponsored Links