April 23, 2024, 05:25:02 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: lab portion of chemistry classes  (Read 3009 times)

Offline oxidation

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
lab portion of chemistry classes
« on: July 02, 2015, 11:14:01 PM »
friends, i am facing some great difficulty doing well in the lab portion of my chemistry classes. i work with a partner, so im able to carry out the experiments and everything fine. the issue springs up with the pre-labs and post lab reports! what we are learning in lecture is NEVER in sync w/ the lab so the lab is always very confusing to ms and I don't have a clue. how can I write sensible answers to Prelab, post lab, and understand the practical aspect of what's going on?

this has left me very frustrated because not only does it make me challenge my intellect, it prevents me from getting an A in the class!!

what are labs in your schools like? how do you suggest I go about fixing this problem? If it will take me being a chem guru, what do I have to do to be a chem guru!!!!!?  Help

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: lab portion of chemistry classes
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 02:39:36 AM »
what we are learning in lecture is NEVER in sync w/ the lab so the lab is always very confusing

When I was at university, we were taught like this on purpose. Our set work was almost always out of sync with the lectures. It teaches you to learn independently, which is an important skill to have - many real life problems were not covered by lectures.

Get a selection of textbooks and study the topics - collaborating with your fellow students can be helpful, you can cover more material in a shorter period by sharing and discussing your findings.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Irlanur

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-4
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 03:16:36 AM »
what we are learning in lecture is NEVER in sync w/ the lab

I guess that's just how it is...

Offline orgo814

• Mole Snacks: +11/-6
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 07:47:25 PM »
You're not alone in how you feel... It actually took me til the end of my college career to kind of understand how the lab works. The pre-lab is your opportunity to learn the concepts for which you are responsible for in the lab. The biggest reason why students do poorly in lab sections is inadequate preparation. Learn the concepts, learn the procedure, and understand WHY you are doing certain things. Consult your lab GA for help with this if you are confused.

Sponsored Links