April 25, 2024, 02:35:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Electrolytic cell  (Read 1903 times)

Offline T

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Electrolytic cell
« on: July 06, 2015, 12:21:35 AM »
Hello,

For galvanic cell, the electrode with a lower E° will be oxidised while the electrode with a higher E° will be reduced.

Does the E° determine whether a electrode will oxidise or reduce in a electrolytic cell? Since the power supply will draw electrons from one electrode and deposit it in another, the E° shouldn't matter is what I think.

Thanks

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Electrolytic cell
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 03:24:37 AM »
E° tells at what potential reaction goes, it doesn't say which way it goes. It can go spontaneously one way, or we can force it - by external source - to go another way.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline T

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 12:13:22 PM »
Is there a requirement in a electrolytic cell for which terminal of an power supply the electrode will need to be connected for it to work?

ie. The lower E° of the 2 electrodes will need to be connected to the positive terminal of the power supply otherwise the cell will not work.

Thanks

Offline PhotoElectroMaterials

• Mole Snacks: +3/-2
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 03:22:52 AM »
I think you may be confused between electrolytic cell and galvanic cell.  The E° is very important for a galvanic cell where spontaneous reactions will produce current.  In an electrolytic cell you are carrying out the reaction by supplying external power.  Hence the E° is not important if you supply enough energy.  For ex. you can even deposit copper (E°=0.34V) on zinc (E°=-0.76V) in an electrolytic cell by connecting copper to the positive terminal (anode) and supplying sufficient potential. 

Sponsored Links