March 28, 2024, 12:23:56 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Any recommendations for auto/semiauto flash sytems?  (Read 3959 times)

Offline Reddart

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
Any recommendations for auto/semiauto flash sytems?
« on: July 11, 2015, 09:49:57 PM »
I'm looking for a good used system, purifying ~5-20g of materials. When I search ebay, I see a lot of Isco combiflash companion systems for $1500-3000, usually stated "as is, not tested", which makes me suspicious. I have no idea really what to look for or what I need...does anyone have any suggestions/opinions on various systems?

I guess I'm looking for something to somewhat speed and/or automate the process (allowing time and semi attention to do other things while it is going on).

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Any recommendations for auto/semiauto flash sytems?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 04:27:55 AM »
I've used Biotage and Interchim Puriflash systems (mostly the latter). They work. In my previous lab be trialed models (can't remember which ones, sorry) from both companies side by side and decided you got more for your money, and more flexibility for upgrades/modification, with Interchim. I prefer Biotage's interface though, Interchim's feels complicated and there is a lot going on in a small screen, so the buttons are very small and it can be a bit fiddly to set up. Then again you have more options and parameters to play with.

I don't use them all that often because I prefer to trust my own hands with precious compounds on small scale; I'm certainly no expert with these systems.

My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 05:58:56 AM »
You can be suspicious about "as is, not tested" on eBay. It often means "I tested it, I know perfectly that it's bricked, but that way the buyer can't ask for refund". Generally, consider it equivalent to "broken".

Also be careful about "new with defects". Some sellers describe the minor defects but forget more important ones, then use the "with defects" clause to reject the buyer's claims. So check the pictures by yourself in detail at least.

Offline TheUnassuming

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-1
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 02:15:08 PM »
My lab uses Isco systems, mostly their combiflash systems, and I like them.  I can definitely attest to their ability to increase productivity.  It's a lot easier to run 3-4 reactions a day when you don't have to manually run each column.  It's especially helpful for bringing up material/running background reactions and in some cases can get better separation than manual columns.     

The disclaimers are a bit worrisome.  To me they mean "I know they are broken but am dishonest", or the seller is some manner of administrator who is off-loading used lab equipment and doesn't know how to/care to test it.  If they are just in need of new seals ect, they aren't too expensive to fix up (assuming you can do this yourself and don't have to call a tech in).  If they need new pumps or more expensive bits, then it could make more financial sense to just get a new one depending on details.  Check the seller's history if you can to see what they are/have sold or just ask them where it came from.  Maybe you will get lucky and it will just be lab equipment that got bought bulk from some corporate take over, and the seller is just looking to piece out and flip the inventory. 
When in doubt, avoid the Stille coupling.

Offline BobfromNC

• Mole Snacks: +14/-1
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 05:03:41 PM »
I use an ISCO companion and Rf constantly.  They seem simpler and more reliable than Biotage in my experience, but some people love Biotage.   I have also used a few other systems, but in the US, it is mostly ISCO and Biotage now.    The prepacked columns are very helpful, and I can purify up to 8-10 compounds in an 8 hour day easily.   The standard systems work really well from a 4 g up to a 40 g column, work ok for larger ones up to 300 g, above that, you can get good results, but sometimes a manual column is cheaper and easier, or at least get a rack with bigger tubes.   But for 10 mg to 5 g samples, the ISCO does well.  There columns are better designed than Biotage also, the ISCO compatible columns from Silicycle are quite good also.   

As for used systems, you may find that if you buy a couple of unknown used ones, you can build a good one, but it depends how handy you are.   They sell working for $10K and up, so buying 2 unknown ones might not be that bad, but I would try to find a working one.   There are plenty at lab auction sites coming up for sale soon.   

Sponsored Links