April 19, 2024, 04:05:10 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Changing the polarity of mobile phase in a HPLC for normal/reverse phase  (Read 3806 times)

Offline confusedstud

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
In a normal phase HPLC setup the sample components are generally polar in nature, stationary phase (SP) is polar as well while the mobile phase (MP) is non-polar. So we if had 3 sample components A=least polar, B=intermediate polarity and C=most polar. Sample A is least attracted to the SP compared to B and C so it will be eluted out first, followed by B then C.

Then if we were to run the same mixture with the same column and same operating conditions, but a more polar mobile phase how will the elution order change?

I thought that if the MP is more polar, the interaction between C-MP becomes stronger than B-MP or A-MP. Essentially interaction of analyte and mobile phase is as follows: C-MP>B-MP>A-MP. So using this trend C should be eluted out first instead. However, the interaction of the component and the stationary phase is as follows: C-SP>B-SP>A-SP and using this trend alone, A should eluted out first.

So generally the MP will be less polar than the stationary phase no matter what. So the C-SP>C-MP and B-SP>B-MP and A-SP>A-MP still. I feel like this should tell me the elution order but I can't seem to get it. Can anyone explain this to me?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
As a rough first-approximation, I like to think of solvent versus analyte competing for binding to the stationary phase.

Offline confusedstud

As a rough first-approximation, I like to think of solvent versus analyte competing for binding to the stationary phase.

Hmm how would that tell us which would be eluted out first? I always determine the elution order by comparing which component has the strongest interaction with the stationary phase and mobile phase. But now for a normal phase HPLC when I increased the polarity of the mobile phase i can't seem to compare them very well.

Can you explain their elution order?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
I would try ignoring their interaction between the analyses and the mobile phase altogether, and then I would make a prediction accordingly and check against the data.  See if that works.

Offline confusedstud

I would try ignoring their interaction between the analyses and the mobile phase altogether, and then I would make a prediction accordingly and check against the data.  See if that works.

Hmm why should we ignore the interaction between the analytes and the mobile phase?

Thanks again

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
I have observed many beginning students making the same mistake you did, namely assuming that the order of Rf values of the analytes reverses when one increases the polarity of the solvent (mobile phase).  Empirically, one usually observes that the order stays the same but the Rf values increase.  One makes models to explain the data, and models are simplifications of the real world.

Sponsored Links