April 25, 2024, 08:47:28 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Elimination of terephthalic acid  (Read 2868 times)

Offline Exploring

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Elimination of terephthalic acid
« on: July 15, 2015, 04:01:45 AM »
Hi all!
I would like to know could I get rid of the excess of terephtalic acid in my final reaction product. It does not dissolve in anything (but some ionic liquids) , and I am not sure esther derivatisation (and then dissolve it) is a trouble free option.
I normally use it as a limiting reactant but sometimes it does not get consumed in a 100%.
Any practical suggestion??
Thanks

Offline clarkstill

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-4
Re: Elimination of terephthalic acid
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 09:12:08 AM »
I presume washing it away with base is out of the question for some reason?

Offline TTF

• Very New Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 12:54:03 AM »
Hi all!
I would like to know could I get rid of the excess of terephtalic acid in my final reaction product. It does not dissolve in anything (but some ionic liquids) , and I am not sure esther derivatisation (and then dissolve it) is a trouble free option.
I normally use it as a limiting reactant but sometimes it does not get consumed in a 100%.
Any practical suggestion??
Thanks

Seperate with column chromotography is your best option, just a simple silica column, and terephthalic acid does dissolve in DMSO if I recall correctly, you could try that, but it will most likely dissolve your product too

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 02:17:39 AM »
I would like to know could I get rid of the excess of terephtalic acid in my final reaction product. It does not dissolve in anything

What about the solubility of your product? Can you just remove the terephthalic acid by filtration?
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline CKabes

• Mole Snacks: +4/-1
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 10:04:14 PM »
There are lots of things you could do, but it depends on the sensitivity of the product you want to keep. What else is in your mixture?

Offline Exploring

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 04:23:47 AM »
thanks to all for the answers. Basically I am preparing a MOF which is insoluble, and sensible to bases… I will try DMSO, however, it will be very difficult to get rid of it after washing

Offline TTF

• Very New Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 08:54:41 PM »
thanks to all for the answers. Basically I am preparing a MOF which is insoluble, and sensible to bases… I will try DMSO, however, it will be very difficult to get rid of it after washing
If your MOF isn't water sensitive you can wash the DMSO out with water and then heat to 100-120 under vacuo for 24-48 hours, to dry it. Generally frameworks have to be dried that long anyways (At least in my case they are).

e/ Also another thing you can try is hot methanol, I use a similar precursor (1,3,5 tricarboxylic acid instead of para) and that dissolves it very well.

Sponsored Links