April 18, 2024, 09:42:55 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Acidic oxides and basic oxides  (Read 3449 times)

Offline T

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Acidic oxides and basic oxides
« on: July 19, 2015, 12:53:48 AM »
Hello,

The question is:

Elements Q and R form both oxides and chlorides. Under laboratory conditions, QCl2 is a cherry- red liquid while RCl2 is a white solid. Which one of the following statements is most likely to describe the oxides of these elements?

A) Q forms a basic oxide QO while R forms an acidic oxide RO.
B) Q forms a basic oxide QO2 while R forms two acidic oxides RO and RO2.
C) Q forms two acidic oxides QO2 and QO3 while R forms a basic oxide RO.
D) Q forms an acidic oxide QO while R forms a basic oxide RO.
E) Q forms two acidic oxides QO and QO2 while R forms a basic oxide RO2.

From the information given Q would be a non-metal as it forms a liquid with chlorine and R is a metal as it forms a solid with chlorine. The charge of Q and R is +2. Q will produce a non-metal oxide and R will produce a metal oxide. As I gather metal oxides form a basic oxide while non-metal oxide will produce a acidic oxide. So therefore my answer is D. However, the answer is C. I know that non-metals can have different oxidation numbers but I don't understand why. Could someone explain this? I can't find anything good on the internet.

Thanks

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Acidic oxides and basic oxides
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 03:28:22 AM »
Nothing wrong with your logic leading to D, but I suppose they expect you to know the identity of the red liquid.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline T

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 05:06:28 AM »
I see, it was on a past olympiad exam. Don't know how they expected us to know it then.

Thanks Borek

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 09:56:46 AM »
It sounds like there is some context missing from the question. It sounds like one part of a multipart question, the sort that involve a large chemical scheme with many unknowns, which provides more clues as to what Q and R might be.

Your logic that oxides of Q will be acidic because Q must me a non-metal is fine, but this only narrows it down to C, D, or E.

Without more information, answering this question relies on you recognizing what the cherry red QCl2 is. If you don't know, you can probably have a good guess: If Q is a non-metal and forms QCl2 (i.e. oxidation state of Q is +2), then which group of the periodic table is it likely to come from?
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline T

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 12:31:24 AM »
If Q is a non-metal and forms QCl2 (i.e. oxidation state of Q is +2), then which group of the periodic table is it likely to come from?

I would guess group 16, this is because they need to form 2 bonds to get a full shell, and the chlorine will pull the electron away from them so they will have oxidation state of +2.

I googled group 16 dichlorides, and sulfur dichloride is a red liquid. So Q is sulfur. However, without googling, I would not have been able to tell which group 16 non-metal is Q, could someone give me a hint to be able to find Q without googling.

Thanks

Sponsored Links