March 29, 2024, 05:20:33 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Please help me choose books  (Read 13892 times)

Offline BigManFromAFRICA88

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Please help me choose books
« on: July 25, 2015, 05:34:27 PM »
Hi I'm new around here and want to take a shot at the Olympiad. I had a couple questions to settle before I order my books:

1) Should I use Klein's Organic Chem (full textbook) over the Second Language books? Will this give me any benefit over just the Second Language books? Or is it a waste of money really?
2) Anybody use Oxtoby's Principles for studying? I've heard it's a nice middle ground between Atkins and Zumdahl in terms of problems and content, but I just need some opinions from people who've done it before.
3) Do I have to buy any books before I take the local exam? Or can I study them earlier? Will this provide me any benefit? And do I need to worry about books for biochem, physical chem, etc?

Thanks to all you guys in advance for the help. :)

Re: Please help me choose books
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 02:49:30 PM »
I forgot to add that I will be taking AP Chem this year, using Chemistry: The Central Science (Brown/LeMay) and will be studying on top of my school work with my planned schedule.

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 01:12:13 AM »
I think as you said you are aiming for AP chemistry ...so I think Zumdhal is the best book and this can help you in chemistry olympiad.I dont think you need to go for Klein because you will not get questions of very high level in organic chemistry.

Offline pinke

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 08:18:20 AM »
hello vidya mam. can you please tell me what is ap chem exam ? or could you share any link regarding it ..thank you

Offline ArcHos

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 01:57:03 AM »
I don't know the difficulty of olympiad in your area; however, I advice you to study Clein's Organic Chemistry cause' it really helps in olympiads of higher level(IChO)
Good Luck!

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 02:25:57 PM »
Thank you all for the help, I forgot to update you all on how I did!
I reached the National Exam last year, far better than what I was expecting. This year I'm aiming for the study camp, so back to the books!

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 10:01:03 AM »
hello vidya mam. can you please tell me what is ap chem exam ? or could you share any link regarding it ..thank you
hello Pinkie
I am teaching AP chemistry from last 12 years and I know in and out of this exam.
https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/apcourse/ap-chemistry

Offline cc26922

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 05:02:26 AM »
Hey there,
I' ve looked all the recommended books here and they're pretty good. I also need a few books about inorganic chemistry. If you know, please share with me, please

Sponsored Links