April 19, 2024, 12:38:27 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Applying Nernst equation to calculate oxidation potential for hydrogen peroxide  (Read 5294 times)

Offline purpledwarak

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I am trying to understand the impact of the concentration of H2O2 on the oxidation potential of an aqueous solution under acidic conditions.

The half-cell reaction for H2O2 under acidic conditions (pH = -0.4 or H+=2.511 M) in an aqueous solution is

H2O2 + 2e- + 2H+ = 2H2O

The standard oxidation potential (Eo) for the above reaction is 1.7 V.

The leaching processes I am looking at requires an oxidation potential(E) of 0.7 volts.

I am using the Nernst equation for non-standard conditions to arrive at E=0.7 volts by varying the concentration of H2O2.

[tex] E= E_o-\left[\frac {0.0591}{n}×log_{10}\left(\frac {1}{[H_2O_2][H^+]^2}\right)\right] [/tex]

Substituting values Eo =1.7, E = 0.7, n=2, required concentration [H2O2] =X, and  H+ = 2.511

[tex] 0.7= 1.7-\left[\frac {0.0591}{2}×log_{10}\left(\frac {1}{X ×[2.511]^2}\right)\right][/tex]

X=7.13×10^{-33} M and this is a really low value of H2O2 concentration.

I would like to know where I am going wrong while applying the Nernst equation under non-standard conditions?

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
You have got the sign wrong (or alternatively, you have got the log expression upside down, which amounts to the same thing). This is something I have difficulty remembering, so I always think in terms of Le Chatelier's principle. What will be the effect of increasing [H2O2]? It will push the equilibrium to the right; that is, it will make the oxidation (of something else by H2O2) more favourable, so it will increase the electrode potential.

Offline purpledwarak

mjc123, thank you for the reply.

If the H2O2 concentration (i.e. X) decreases to a value below 1 in the Nernst equation then the ratio within the log10 expression is greater than one. Therefore, E ≤ Eo.

So I think the above expression is correct and by decreasing the  H2O2 concentration E value reduces. Alternately, according to the Le Chatelier's principle a lower H2O2 concentration will drive the reaction to the left.

Hope this reasoning is Ok. My problem is that I am getting a very low value for H2O2 concentration to reduce E to 0.7 V. Still trying to figure out where I am going wrong.

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
On reflection you're right, the minus sign and the upside down log expression combine to make it right. I don't think your answer is right - I get 2 x 10-35M - but it's in the right regime, i.e. very small. Think about it; the factor 2.303RT/F = 0.059V occurs very often in electrochemistry, a number you should memorise. If n = 2, then E changes by 30 mV per decade of concentration, so you'll need about 33 orders of magnitude to get a 1V change. 1V is a very big change for an electrode potential. Do you have to use H2O2? Does the pH have to be -0.4? Varying the H+ concentration will have twice the effect of varying [H2O2].

Offline purpledwarak

Yes, the process I am looking at (oxidative leaching of a metal) requires H2O2 and a pH in the range of -0.5 to 0.

From an electrochemical perspective, should I include the other half reaction where the metal gets oxidized and combine it with this half reaction of hydrogen peroxide gets reduced? This will reduce the Eo.

This is because the electrons required for the reduction of H2O2 should be generated by the oxidation of the metal.

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
Yes, the process I am looking at (oxidative leaching of a metal) requires H2O2 and a pH in the range of -0.5 to 0.
Then, as we've seen, you're pretty much constrained to an electrode potential in the region of 1.7 V. (Not exactly - at concentrations like 2M, the activity coefficient will not be close to 1.) What is wrong with this? Why does it need to be 0.7V?
should I include the other half reaction where the metal gets oxidized and combine it with this half reaction of hydrogen peroxide gets reduced?
Good question. You said "The leaching processes I am looking at requires an oxidation potential(E) of 0.7 volts". Did you mean the electrode potential of the oxidiser? Or the cell potential, i.e. the oxidiser electrode potential needs to be 0.7V higher than that of the metal? Is that made clear? It would be helpful if you could quote the actual question or task specification. Does it need to be at least 0.7V? or no more than 0.7V? or exactly 0.7V? What is the metal, and what is its electrode potential? Is there anything else present that might get unwantedly oxidised at 1.7V?

Sponsored Links