March 28, 2024, 03:32:59 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Extraction volume  (Read 1778 times)

Offline pretzalisa

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Extraction volume
« on: July 30, 2015, 08:02:25 AM »
Just a quick question regarding the ideal relative volume of organic solvent used to back extract from an aqueous layer? Can't find any information on this anywhere...

Cheers!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Extraction volume
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 08:42:25 AM »
Its hard to come up with a definitive answer.  It seems the typical value is equal volumes, so you're maximizing contact area shaking in the sep. funnel.  But you're going to do it 3 times, to get max extraction, based on partitioning coefficient.  But can you handle that much volume?  Or does it depend on solubility of compound in solvent, as well?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
Re: Extraction volume
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 08:26:57 AM »
Just a quick question regarding the ideal relative volume of organic solvent used to back extract from an aqueous layer? Can't find any information on this anywhere...

Cheers!

Re: ideal relative volume
The most effective would be a large volume extracting an infinite number of times, but that would use a lot of solvent. Reducing the volume of solvent would also be very effective, but a large number of extractions would be time consuming. For compounds not highly water soluble, I generally chose volumes that were comparable to my original extractions and would fit in my flask. If I had washed once with 50 mL and my organic layer was in a 125 mL flask, I'd back extract with a volume that would also fit in my 125 mL flask. Occasionally, I might have to change flask size, but I'd say flask size determined the relative volume I'd use. (I also didn't back extract except if I thought my compound had some water solubility. You can go crazy with washing the back extracts and re-extracting those, etc.)
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links