March 28, 2024, 04:09:32 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: reduction of tin(II) oxide (stannous oxide)  (Read 3145 times)

Offline blahblahblah

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
reduction of tin(II) oxide (stannous oxide)
« on: July 30, 2015, 04:02:20 PM »
I need to reduce tin (II) oxide, could ammonia act as a reducing agent. if not what reducing agents could reduce tin oxide to elemental tin?

Also I was considering using hydrogen as a reducing agent. I have researched this a little. Could diatomic hydrogen do this, or would i have to use atomic(nascent hydrogen).

I have a solution (more of a slurry since SnO isnt that soluble) of tin(II) oxide. Could i just bubble hydrogen into the  mixture to reduce the compound to elemental tin 

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: reduction of tin(II) oxide (stannous oxide)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 04:49:13 PM »
I have a solution (more of a slurry since SnO isnt that soluble) of tin(II) oxide. Could i just bubble hydrogen into the  mixture to reduce the compound to elemental tin

No, that's not going to work.  That's essentially blowing a mist of hydrogen over metal flakes, with some water around.  And that's not how hydrogen reduction works. 

I'm glad you've read "some" about this topic.  Try to read some more, and see if you can come up with some other ideas that may work.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline blahblahblah

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
reduction of tin(II) oxide with electrical current
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 05:26:02 PM »
In the case of this video what would be the half reactions at the anode and cathode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD8_IAbnmLM

Note also in the video the uploader commented : Tin(II) chloride is notorious to get into aqueous solution.  So the pH of the solution was adjusted to be less than 2 using hydrochloric acid.  Overall concentration of tin(II) chloride is 0.2 M if I remembered correctly.

How was HCL or water involed in the redox reaction?

Thanks

Offline PhotoElectroMaterials

• Mole Snacks: +3/-2
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 10:19:51 PM »
If you can make it to powder form, you can reduce it with H2 gas in a tubular furnace.  Reduction using hydrogen is usually done at high temperature and an atmosphere of hydrogen is created by continuously passing H2 through the furnace.    You can find the exact temperature in the journals or even google. 

Combination of hydrogen and high temperature is extremely dangerous and you definitely need some help to hand such experiment.

Offline Intanjir

• Mole Snacks: +45/-1
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 02:12:17 AM »
Smelt it!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: reduction of tin(II) oxide with electrical current
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 03:08:03 AM »
Take a close look at the anode. Especially about 2:20 it is obvious what is happening.

And it is absolutely not surprising, that's what one should expect.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links