April 20, 2024, 03:13:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Determination of free acid in paper  (Read 2547 times)

Offline frozenheart2511

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Determination of free acid in paper
« on: August 10, 2015, 02:39:36 AM »
Hello all,

I have some sample of paper and I want to determine the exact amount of acid. I used 100 mL of water to soak about 1,000 g of sample and titrate 10 mL of that solution with sodium hydroxide 0.1N and phenolphtalein and the equivalent point was reach with only one or two drops of sodium hydroxide. And I dont have much original sample too.

With such low amount of acid, how can I determine exactly?

Please help...

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Determination of free acid in paper
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 02:57:32 AM »
Two ways, increase the sample amount or decrease the molarity of the sodium hydroxide. Or do back titration that you treat you are sample with a known amount of sodiumhydroxide and titrate back with hydrochloric and calculate the difference.

Offline khanhduy0388

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 03:43:56 AM »
yes, have you tried to reduce the concentration of NaOH from 0.1N to 0.05N or lower?

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 04:46:42 AM »
The question is what is your consumption. A good titration should require 5 -10 ml of hydroxide

Offline frozenheart2511

• Very New Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 06:00:15 AM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for reply,

I've tried 2,000 g of sample and sodium hydroxide 0.01 N and it only gave about few mL at equivalent point. I also tried back titration when treated 2,000 g of sample with 15 mL of sodium hydroxide 0.01N and titrate with hydrochloric acid 0.01N (methyl orange as indicator) and i found it very hard to figure out the equivalent point as my solution is very dilute (as i supposed).

I wonder
1. if i can use a pH meter for potentiometric titration in this case?
2. i used a pH meter for titration of sodium hydroxide 0.01 N with hydrochloric acid 0.01 N and found out the equivalent point is not clear, delta(pH)/delta(V) graph gave me many peak near the equivalent point, what's the problem?

Thank you in advance,

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 08:53:54 AM »
How much free acid do you expect is in paper.  I understand a certain level leads to deterioration over decades, but I don't know what amount is too much.  If you got all of it out of 2 kilos of paper, and its still barely detectable, maybe titrations aren't ever going to work.  Like Hunter2: said, a proper titration will require more than a few drops of titrant.

If you're having trouble with the methyl orange endpoint, which isn't the easiest one to see, I'll grant you, you can use phenolpthalein, to a clear endpoint that doesn't return for 15 sec.  But still, how much free acid do you expect in a kilo of paper, and if you prepare a solution of HCl to that level, can you execute the titration or not?  If you can't, you may have to analyze by a different method.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links