April 24, 2024, 02:02:45 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Oxidation products by KMnO4  (Read 6392 times)

flortzweich

Oxidation products by KMnO4
« on: April 18, 2006, 05:05:03 PM »
Hello All,

I am working on a synthesis project in Organic Chemistry involving an oxidation of a benzyllic sidechain hopefully to Benzoic Acid. My question is... I have been looking over the literature and most of what I see is the process of oxidizing toluene or some variation thereof (chloro- nitro- etc...) into benzoic acid. Our process, however, is to oxidize cyclohexylbenzene to benzoic acid using potassium permanganate and a slightly acidic solution. We have already tried the step and have been unsuccessful in getting any benzoic acid to precipitate out. I was wondering if anyone could point me to some references about the oxidation of cyclohexylbenzene specifically.

Our process was to dissolve about 7 grams of potassium permanganate in 40 mL of hot water, add to this the cyclohexylbenzene, and a small amount of HCl. Reflux this for 4 hours and then filter the solution. Reduce any remaining KMnO4 with sodium bisulfite and filter again. Then precipitate out the benzoic acid with concentrated HCl.

There was a large amount of Manganese Dioxide produced, so something was oxidized. The Benzoic Acid, however... strangely elusive.  ???

Thanks for any help.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re: Oxidation products by KMnO4
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 06:49:18 PM »
Is this what you mean by cyclohexylbenzene?
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

flortzweich

Re: Oxidation products by KMnO4
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 07:50:04 PM »
Yes, we made it by adding cyclohexene to benzene with sulfuric acid in an ice bath, as in the process described at http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/prep.asp?prep=cv2p0151

This reaction yields a mixture of cyclohexylbenzene and 1,4-dicyclohexylbenzene which is easily separated since the disubstituted is a solid. After we performed this step we used that synthesized cyclohexylbenzene. The IR spec showed we did have cyclohexylbenzene when we added it to the KMnO4 solution.

Sponsored Links