April 20, 2024, 10:06:11 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I don't understand "FIP-U/g DM)  (Read 7487 times)

Offline Victor66

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I don't understand "FIP-U/g DM)
« on: August 17, 2015, 01:59:29 AM »
Hello!
What does "FIP-U/g DM" mean? As far as I can tell, DM could be dry matter, which makes sense in the context, but what are the other terms?
It's related to pepsine and its use in an experiment, it says "80 FIP-U/g DM), DM being the dried organic matter pepsine is used on.

Also, where can I read the protocol for the carbazole method?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 02:12:43 AM by Victor66 »

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: I don't understand "FIP-U/g DM)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 03:17:40 AM »
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 09:18:24 AM »
U often stands for units of enzyme.  Units are an extensive property that measures the activity of an enzyme.  Related to it is specific activity, an intensive property that is usually measured in U/mg.  The specific activity should be the same for various preparations of an enzyme that is both pure and completely active.

There is a generally accepted definition of units, which is that one unit of an enzyme is that amount of enzyme that produces a rate of 1 micromole of substrate to product per minute under specified conditions of temperature, pH, etc.  “One USP Unit of Pepsin activity is the activity that releases the equivalent of 1 μmole of tyrosine per minute under conditions of the Assay." (also from the powerpoint).

However, some enzymes have a special definition of unit.  The powerpoint that discodermolide found talks about the international pharmaceutical federation (FIP) and "European units," but the latter term is not familiar to me.  The powerpoint is pretty good at illustrating the problem of multiple definitions of units.

Offline Victor66

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 03:15:18 AM »
Thank you, now I understand what it means.

Sponsored Links