April 18, 2024, 07:05:47 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Calcium oxide and calcium hydroxide content  (Read 2417 times)

Offline Ash15

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Calcium oxide and calcium hydroxide content
« on: August 27, 2015, 09:29:16 AM »
Hi All, I am trying to determine the relative concentrations in mass percent of calcium hydroxide and calcium oxide in the solid phase of a slaked lime slurry sample. I am trying to optimise our lime slaking circuit, that is to determine how much quicklime (CaO) is converted to slaked lime ( calcium hydroxide). Would anyone know how to determine this? Many thanks, Ash.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Calcium oxide and calcium hydroxide content
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 10:06:29 AM »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Ash15

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 10:12:33 PM »
Hi Arkcon, thanks for your reply. I am not sure I understand the relationship from the carbonate/hydroxide analysis to the hydroxide/oxide analysis? In the process of lime slaking, an excess of water is added to produce a slaked lime Ca(OH)2 slurry of approx 20% weight solids. Of course the Ca(OH)2 is sparingly soluble and so the bulk of the solids will be solid Ca(OH)2 with some I am assuming unreacted CaO. The reaction for the slaking process is: CaO(s) + H2O = Ca (OH)2(s).

What I am really trying to determine is what is the split of CaO and Ca(OH)2 in only the solid component (ie once the liquid phase is removed & solid sample dried). Most of the available lime tests are based on the sugar test in ASTM C110 which uses a titration with HCl. But I would have thought the HCl will consume both the solid Ca(OH2) and unreacted CaO?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 05:34:20 AM »
Ah ... opps.  I misread the question.  Yes.  It will be tough to determine calcium oxide and calcium hydroxdie in aqueous solution,since CaO reacts to produce some CaOH.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 10:09:07 AM »
If the solid is uniform enough, take a known mass of it, dissolve in enough water, measure the pH? This would tell you how much H20 mass is already in the solid.
Or observe how much acid neutralizes the known mass.
Err, I fear I overlooked something.

Sponsored Links