April 26, 2024, 07:24:15 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Blank for cometitive ELISA  (Read 7792 times)

Offline lab2015

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Blank for cometitive ELISA
« on: August 28, 2015, 05:30:28 AM »
I recently performed a competitive ELISA for the first time to detect a protein in urine samples. The final colour has a reverse relationship to the concentration of the protein. In the protocol, they didn't say what blank should be used for the plate reading. There is 6 standards [standard 0 (concentration 0 ng/ml), standards 1-5] and 2 controls. I used standard 0 as a blank. All the absorbance readings were negative. I would appreciate any advice about how can I know what blank should I use? I used a 4 parametric logistic curve with the readings I got, as requested in the kit, and the results for my samples were in the expected range but can I use these results with the fact that all absorbance readings were negative?
Please help.
Regards,

Carol

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: Blank for cometitive ELISA
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 01:11:55 PM »
The appropriate blank would probably contain all of the materials except for one of the components responsible for generating the color.  Without knowing more of the details of the method, it's hard to suggest the appropriate blank.  One solution would just be to blank the spectrophotometer with water or buffer, take the measurements, and figure out the correct background subtraction afterwards.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 02:17:17 PM »
It might help if we saw your data. If I understand correctly, the inverse relationship means that the blank gives the most "signal" in whatever plate reader.  And then less and less through higher standards.  It seems like you can still use the blank, but even with the inverse response, you still get a line, you still determine a function, and you can still determine an unknown.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline lab2015

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 08:01:33 PM »
The appropriate blank would probably contain all of the materials except for one of the components responsible for generating the color.  Without knowing more of the details of the method, it's hard to suggest the appropriate blank.  One solution would just be to blank the spectrophotometer with water or buffer, take the measurements, and figure out the correct background subtraction afterwards.

Thank you so much for your reply. how can I blank the spectrophotometer with water or buffer? should I leave the blank wells empty and add water or buffer just before reading the plate?

C
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 08:44:49 PM by Arkcon »

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 10:36:59 AM »

Thank you so much for your reply. how can I blank the spectrophotometer with water or buffer? should I leave the blank wells empty and add water or buffer just before reading the plate?

C

It's hard to say without knowing more details about the experimental procedure.  Adding water or buffer to the wells just before performing the experiment could work.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 01:24:32 PM »
I find it helpful to distinguish setting the spectrophotometer reference from making a blank, although I am not sure how universal the terminology is.  I use the word blanks to describe a type of control experiment in which something is left out (often the macromolecule in a biochemical experiment), but they need not have zero absorbance values.  The substance used to set the reference of a spectrometer is usually defined to have an absorbance of zero.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 03:08:37 PM »
I've generally heard the term blank used to describe the spetrophotometric reference and never an experimental control.  I'd generally refer to the control experiments as "negative controls," "no enzyme controls," or "no substrate controls."

Offline lab2015

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 06:20:45 AM »
I am really confused about the competitive ELISA assay because I need a zero blank to read the plate against, which should have no colour, but how can I do this? can I skip adding the conjugate? would any one who did competitive ELISA advice me about this please? 

*MOD Edit: remove own quote* 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 10:02:15 AM by Arkcon »

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 08:23:26 AM »
Application of experimental design techniques to optimize a competitive ELISA
Journal of Immunological Methods
Volume 190, Issue 2, 19 April 1996, Pages 151–161
G. Sitta Sittampalam, Wendell C. Smith, Thomas W. Miyakawa, David R. Smithc Clyde McMorris,
doi:10.1016/0022-1759(95)00262-6

I have not yet read this article, but this one or one like it may be of help.

Offline lab2015

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 06:33:29 AM »
Thank you all for your replys.
It appeared that I shouldn't use any blank!

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 11:18:13 AM »
I have not done this assay myself, but hat sounds very odd.  What makes you say that?

Sponsored Links