April 16, 2024, 02:28:31 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Infinite cycle durability electrochemical cell  (Read 1711 times)

Lavaguava

Infinite cycle durability electrochemical cell
« on: September 13, 2015, 02:10:33 PM »
Hello Chemical Forums, this is my first post here.

Will we ever be able to manufacture an infinite cycle durability electrochemical cell? That is, a cell which may be recharged and discharged unlimited times with no external intervention or changing of components. Are there any processes that theoretically limit this, or with the correct working out along with correct manufacture is this possible?

Thanks,

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Infinite cycle durability electrochemical cell
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 03:36:04 PM »
First of all, you're going to have to more rigidly define your terms of durability.  Nothing made by the hand of man endures forever, and for that matter, nothing on the surface of the Earth endures perpetually.  You didn't claim that your putative battery's case had to survive subduction under the Earth's crust, but you didn't absolutely deny it either.

OK, you're apparently talking about the "memory" or other generalized loss in the ability to hold a charge that occurs in all batteries.  Are you acquainted with the cause of this type of wear and tear on various battery types?   Does it seem plausible that we can alleviate those causes sufficiently for your problem?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 07:32:37 AM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links