April 26, 2024, 09:03:17 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Insulin stored as...?  (Read 4599 times)

Offline maadijk

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Insulin stored as...?
« on: September 26, 2015, 02:32:25 PM »
After translation, is insulin stored as a precursor or as the active form of insulin? From what I've read, protein precursors are formed because the subsequent molecule can be dangerous but needs to be available fast. I've heard that insulin is stored as proinsulin, but I can't seem to find anything online about it

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Insulin stored as...?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 08:34:17 PM »
Well, you didn't look very hard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proinsulin
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline maadijk

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 03:57:53 AM »
Well, you didn't look very hard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proinsulin

Obviously read it already.

"...It is then transported to the Golgi apparatus where it is packaged into secretory vesicles, and where it is processed by a series of proteases to form mature insulin."

Does this processing happen immediately, so insulin is stored in the vesicles, or does it happen once it is actually required, meaning that it is proinsulin that's stored?  ;)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 06:56:28 AM »
You're asking a very specific question, and you might not find the answer in a textbook, but instead only in someone's very specialized research paper.  Perhaps someone has isolates just the Golgi vesicles, and carefully analyzed relative amounts of proinsulin to insulin, in order to answer this question.

You're asking if this "dangerous" hormone is stored or not.  I can't help but wonder why you think its dangerous.  Its a hormone, it sends a chemical message.  Now, a protease enzyme, that is something we worry about if our digestive cells might end up digesting themselves.  But if insulin leaks out of the vesicle, into the cell ... so what?  Can you describe for us what's likely to happen, and specifically where?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline maadijk

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 08:02:30 AM »
You're asking a very specific question, and you might not find the answer in a textbook, but instead only in someone's very specialized research paper.  Perhaps someone has isolates just the Golgi vesicles, and carefully analyzed relative amounts of proinsulin to insulin, in order to answer this question.

You're asking if this "dangerous" hormone is stored or not.  I can't help but wonder why you think its dangerous.  Its a hormone, it sends a chemical message.  Now, a protease enzyme, that is something we worry about if our digestive cells might end up digesting themselves.  But if insulin leaks out of the vesicle, into the cell ... so what?  Can you describe for us what's likely to happen, and specifically where?

I think you misunderstood my original post. I'm not saying that insulin is dangerous, I'm saying that precursor proteins (according to wikipedia) are often produced because the subsequent protein is harmful: "Protein precursors are often used by an organism when the subsequent protein is potentially harmful, but needs to be available on short notice and/or in large quantities."

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 12:38:21 PM »
OK, but since this is a learning forum, you can still answer my question:  If the vesicles release insulin, in active form, into the cytoplasm of the secretory cells of the Islets of Langerhans, what will be the result?  If the enzyme pepsin is released into the secretory cells of the mammalian stomach, what happens?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 01:34:18 PM »
The first form of insulin that is synthesized is preproinsulin (which is mentioned elsewhere in Wikipedia).  Preproinsulin is converted into proinsulin.  The maturation of insulin is discussed in some biochemistry textbooks.  Which ones have you consulted?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 09:46:25 AM »
Wikipedia's entries are not sufficiently cross-indexed; there is no mention of the C-peptide, which is co-produced when insulin is produced, in the entry on proinsulin.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 11:24:19 AM by Babcock_Hall »

Sponsored Links