March 29, 2024, 11:39:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Are there methyl ketones that have halogens in it?  (Read 1485 times)

Offline johnnyjohn993123

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Are there methyl ketones that have halogens in it?
« on: September 29, 2015, 07:16:05 AM »
We were in our lab and our Professor has given us this unknown substance. Firts my liquid compound smells much like acetone, mint-sweet. It has this very faint dirty brown color almost colorless.

I used the thiele Dennis tube to determine the boiling point of my substance.  (It was about 79-80°C).

I also tested it with Schifft's Reagent and my sample turned light pink, hence I know I have a Ketone! Then did a couple of test with Ceric Nitrate and nothing happened hence it was not alcohol. Also tested if it was a methyl ketone with sodium nitroprusside test and it was confirmed to be a methyl ketone.

Anyway although my unknown was slightly soluble to water I was guessing it might be '2-butanone' since my unknown was soluble in HCl.

What really stumped me the most was my elementary analysis, since I believe my unknown was suppose to be 2-butanone.. but during my fusion I detected the presence of a halogen. Indicated by the white-yellow ppt. From AgNO3 I added which is  Insoluble  In the hot dil.  HNO3. Pls help me is there anything wrong with my compound? Was it probably contaminated ? Since, it was left for One week in the test tube with a cork after my elementary analysis began.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Are there methyl ketones that have halogens in it?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 07:25:31 AM »
Write out as much of the structure as you can for the evidence you've acquired.  If there's no"room" on the molecule for the halogen, then something must be wrong.  I'm not one of our experts, but I don't see why a halogenated ketone wouldn't exist, but depending on your class level, you have to wonder what the instructor is willing to go through with for a class assignment.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links