April 23, 2024, 01:22:26 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Determining % PClO3 in Unknown Sample  (Read 2247 times)

Offline bitsi

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Determining % PClO3 in Unknown Sample
« on: September 29, 2015, 01:23:04 PM »
Hi there! Today I just performed a lab with two parts. The first part consisted of determining the percent oxygen present in potassium chlorate. The second part involved a mixture of potassium chlorate and potassium chloride. We heated the test tubes to get rid of the oxygen.

I used 0.98g of the unknown sample.
After heating the mixture, I calculated a loss of  0.13g of oxygen. I'm not sure how to use this information to determine the percent potassium chlorate in the sample.

Thank you for any tips!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Determining % PClO3 in Unknown Sample
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 02:00:39 PM »
I'd like to welcome you, bitsi:, the the Chemical Forums but I'd like to ask you to read the Forum Rules{click}.  We like to help you learn to help yourself.  Can you begin to show us your attempt?

OK, start with a balanced chemical equation. Write it out carefully in chemical notation.  Can you can use that to determine how much perchlorate there was in your original sample based on the mass of oxygen?

I'm going to start on the math right now, you mass of oxygen seems ... high to me.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Determining % PClO3 in Unknown Sample
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 08:31:39 AM »
Additional the symbol for pottasium is K from Kalium and is not P. P stands for phosphorous.

Sponsored Links