April 25, 2024, 04:25:34 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: PEDF protein question  (Read 4019 times)

Offline NulliamTaide

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
PEDF protein question
« on: October 01, 2015, 10:19:30 PM »
I've been doing some research into ways of protecting the ears from hearing loss and I came across a protein which from what I can gather plays a huge role in preventing it called SERPINF1 or PEDF. My problem is.. I don't really understand what I'm reading as I have next to no knowledge in chemistry but I really want to understand this as it seems this protein plays a huge role in many bodily defences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEDF

This is the wikipedia page for the protein. What I want to know mostly is how.. if its possible, I could build a diet where my body could most efficiently make this protein. Its 418 amino acids long but I don't know if its specifying which since I don't really understand what I'm reading. If I were even to know which it was made of how would I use that and get myself to make this protein efficiently?
I'm not sure if I'm making any sense lol but I thought I'd ask here anyway since theres bound to be people who can understand this.

Offline NulliamTaide

Re: PEDF protein question
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 10:44:45 PM »
Ive managed to find the amino acid sequence if that is of any use in answering my question... though it seems like a lot to take in even if you do know what this means!

http://www.creativebiomart.net/description_3861_12.htm

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 11:45:47 AM »
I'd like to welcome you, NulliamTaide:, the the Chemical Forums but I'd like to ask you to read the Forum Rules{click}.  We like to help you learn to help yourself.  Even if you're new to science, we don't dump complete answers to questions on this forum.

What do you know, or what can you learn, about what proteins are made of?  You can start with some beginner web pages, such as this one: http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/handbook/howgeneswork/protein
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 02:23:32 PM »
What I want to know mostly is how.. if its possible, I could build a diet where my body could most efficiently make this protein. Its 418 amino acids long but I don't know if its specifying which since I don't really understand what I'm reading. If I were even to know which it was made of how would I use that and get myself to make this protein efficiently?

In general, all proteins are made of the same 20 amino acid building blocks.  For any normal diet, your body will have all of the necessary materials to build this or any other protein in the body.  So, a specific diet would not help.  To boost the amount of this protein, you would need to find some specific drug that induces the body to make more of the protein.  However, it's important to keep in mind that increasing the levels of a specific protein will not always help that protein do its job properly inside the cell.

Offline NulliamTaide

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 03:11:38 PM »
I'd like to welcome you, NulliamTaide:, the the Chemical Forums but I'd like to ask you to read the Forum Rules{click}.  We like to help you learn to help yourself.  Even if you're new to science, we don't dump complete answers to questions on this forum.

What do you know, or what can you learn, about what proteins are made of?  You can start with some beginner web pages, such as this one: http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/handbook/howgeneswork/protein

Hi and thanks. Ill give that a read. I have an interest in learning this stuff I'm just pretty clueless atm. I know a little about amino sequences and a few different types of proteins like gene messengers but I doubt I understand them as well as I think I do aha! I have a  little idea of what things do but not much on how things happen or why. Thanks for the link.

Offline NulliamTaide

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 03:39:11 PM »
What I want to know mostly is how.. if its possible, I could build a diet where my body could most efficiently make this protein. Its 418 amino acids long but I don't know if its specifying which since I don't really understand what I'm reading. If I were even to know which it was made of how would I use that and get myself to make this protein efficiently?

In general, all proteins are made of the same 20 amino acid building blocks.  For any normal diet, your body will have all of the necessary materials to build this or any other protein in the body.  So, a specific diet would not help.  To boost the amount of this protein, you would need to find some specific drug that induces the body to make more of the protein.  However, it's important to keep in mind that increasing the levels of a specific protein will not always help that protein do its job properly inside the cell.

That makes sense. As long as the body has the nutrients it will make the protein as needed but has no need to make extra.
So i'm guessing that is to do with activating a gene that makes that protein if thats how it works that is. Funnily enough after my post I was reading some more and found that more oxygen in cells correlates strongly with more of this protein. So that got me thinking maybe just do lots of exercise! From what Ive read and from your answer it seems like forcing my body to do this with a drug could be a  really bad idea. The only thing I could find was something called azelnidipine which is said to up regulate it but this thing scares me so I doubt il be looking to buy it any time soon.

Thanks for your answer!

Sponsored Links