April 16, 2024, 06:59:55 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Exercises of reactions with various elements  (Read 1931 times)

Offline hitom

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Exercises of reactions with various elements
« on: October 03, 2015, 10:55:51 AM »
Hi, i'm a new member i really need to know this because i am going to write an exam and i am also interested in the answers, thank you!

1, Pour around 2 cm^3 of NaCl and Hydrogen Chloride into two separate test-tubes! Dribble a small amount of AgNO3 into the test-tubes. Observe what is happening and explain what how it happened!

Okay so i i figured we need two reactions here:

NaCl + AgNO3 = NaNO3 + AgCl

What i see is that in NaCl + AgNO3, Ag and Na switched places. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence, but if it isn't could you explain why is it?

2, A very similar exercise, but with HCl + AgNO3, same question as above.
3, 3 test-tubes contain 3 different chemicals in different orders. They are: Sodium Chloride, Sodium Bromide, and Sodium Iodide. On your table you see: a test-tube full of water which contains chloride, another test-tube full of water which contains bromide, a test-tube filled with Lugol solution and another test-tube filled with gasoline. Identify the contents of the 3 test-tubes and explain what you have observed.

I don't expect you to do this for me, i just need directions because i couldn't start with anything in exercise 3.

I appreciate your help, thank you!!

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Exercises of reactions with various elements
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 12:18:58 PM »
1-2. Read about determination about chlorides and soloubility of silversalts.
3. Its not solouble, You can mix the Lugol solution with some gasoline and you can see a violet colour in the organic phase. but the 3 halide salts you can not find out in the given chemistries. Instead of chloride or bromide  you should have chlorine and bromine in water.
With adding to the halide salts you can see some effects which ones?

Sponsored Links