April 23, 2024, 03:48:34 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Equilibrium  (Read 2489 times)

Offline orgo814

• Mole Snacks: +11/-6
Equilibrium
« on: October 04, 2015, 12:39:56 AM »
I am working on a problem that has a scenario like this:

If you were doing a reaction to create a reactant for a second reaction... And the original one (to produce reactant for second reaction) had a small Keq, would you use that product fairly soon or allow it to sit overnight to equilibrate before using it in second reaction? I'm assuming because it's small (<1) you could use it right away but not sure

Offline cseil

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
Re: Equilibrium
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 06:41:38 AM »
I am working on a problem that has a scenario like this:

If you were doing a reaction to create a reactant for a second reaction... And the original one (to produce reactant for second reaction) had a small Keq, would you use that product fairly soon or allow it to sit overnight to equilibrate before using it in second reaction? I'm assuming because it's small (<1) you could use it right away but not sure

Why would you use it right away if the equilibrium constant is small?
What does that imply (the Keq<1)?

Offline orgo814

• Mole Snacks: +11/-6
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 08:50:18 AM »
not much product gas formed?

Offline cseil

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 01:29:44 PM »
not much product gas formed?

It can be a gas, possibly, but it's not specified.
The answer is right. A little equilibrium constant means that you don't have much product.

But this is a thermodynamic information. Thermodynamics tells you nothing about "time".
You don't know after how much time the system is at equilibrium.

Now, if you want to use the little product that you made, you have to wait the equilibrium but knowing the K won't help you because it doesn't say when it is reached.
If you want to use more product, you can wait the equilibrium (it could be 10 minutes or 10 hours or 10 seconds) but you'll still get just a little of your product.
So you have to do something else to change it.

Sponsored Links