April 20, 2024, 11:44:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Electrophillic addition reaction of an alkene  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Ciubba

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Electrophillic addition reaction of an alkene
« on: October 05, 2015, 10:22:20 PM »
My book lists the following reaction: CC(=C)C+Br2, all in a methanol solvent :rarrow: CC(OC)C(OC)C

I'm not sure I understand the product. Wouldn't CC([Br])C(OC)C be a more likely product? If there are no acids involved, I don't see that methanol could act as an electrophile, so one of the bromine must be an electrophile. Then, either the bromide ion or methanol could act as a nucleophile for the newly formed R-bromonium complex, with methanol being more likely as its present in larger concentrations.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
Re: Electrophillic addition reaction of an alkene
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 01:31:27 AM »
The 1st step is addition of bromine to the double bond forming dibromo compound and then the bromines undergo nucleophilic substitution with methanol

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 02:23:22 AM »
The 1st step is addition of bromine to the double bond forming dibromo compound and then the bromines undergo nucleophilic substitution with methanol

Although some dibromide may form, I doubt the product is produced from it. I also think the product or products will vary with the reaction conditions under which it is carried out. Additions of bromine to alkenes is quite facile and I think the addition should occur at a faster rate than solvolysis of the bromo ether intermediate. I would write this as a reaction that occurs over two steps, perhaps as producing a kinetic product and a thermodynamic product.

I am going to assume the intermediate bromo ether can be isolated and this reaction is the commercial,source of it. I will guess that solvolysis of this bromide can give the product being noted.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 04:53:08 AM »
Yes, but what about the rearrangement (isobut-  :rarrow: n-but-)? Assuming the molecules have been drawn correctly.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 09:04:44 AM »
What is the "kinetic" product of this reaction? How might this product rearrange? Hint, pinacol-like.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links