April 25, 2024, 08:13:16 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Tin sources?  (Read 2491 times)

Offline ScienceBruh

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Tin sources?
« on: October 06, 2015, 11:34:23 PM »
I am running an extremely amateur lab in my basement (basically if it isn't at hobby lobby or home depot, it probably isn't in there.)  Anyone know how to get tin for the production of Stannous chloride?  I'm planning on using HCl and Sn for the reaction, anybody have any idea on how to speed it up without heating too? I'm willing, but not excited, to wait for a few days, if i need to.  So basically Where can i find/buy tin for a reasonable price (I am aiming for 12g), And how do you speed up the reaction of HCl+Sn?

Stannis Chloride, the one true salt.  lol GOT reference

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Tin sources?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 09:03:40 AM »
Hi ScienceBruh,

Some artists make relief sculptures out of tin sheets, so you could check at their provider. Maybe their tin is already alloyed a bit.

I got tin capsules on good wine bottles from Chile (the cheaper ones are aluminium), but you'll have to drink a lot to collect 12g. Cheers!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 09:32:31 AM »
Likewise, some especially fancy cheese is wrapped in foil made of tin, but often, varnished aluminum is cheaper and just as good.

Here's an assignment for you:  What is tin used for?  Once you've looked it up, maybe you can find a discarded source?  Look up "tin pest" which is an allotrope of tin.  What items were ruined?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 01:07:05 PM »
95/5 Sn/Sb is sold as a solder. 

Sponsored Links