April 25, 2024, 07:33:08 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Interior design - creating clouds in glass tank  (Read 3173 times)

Offline peer_gynt

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Interior design - creating clouds in glass tank
« on: October 07, 2015, 06:11:03 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am an student of interior design from Italy and I have some ideas for research that require help from chemists. First of all, I would like to apologize for possible ignorance I will demonstrate in following part of the post, I tried to inform myself as much as possible, but there is not much info on the web about this (or, more likely - I searched in the wrong places).

As you are familiar, in previous centuries it was almost normal thing to paint sky on the vaults of the buildings. It was something like this:

http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media//27/99427-050-6E134B40.jpg

But this practice was abandoned by the beginning of the 20th century. Now, I am thinking is there some way to create a more abstract, but dynamic representation of sky in the interior. I am having something like this gif in mind:

http://media3.giphy.com/media/PIh4laWJlz9bq/giphy.gif

So, is there some chemical reaction that can create "clouds" in some fluid. These clouds should change so people can notice it - like the real time change. My idea is that all this be put in some glass tank (and maybe mounted to the ceiling - but that are technical solutions that I will come up with).

I am familiar with crystallization, but I need some process that is occurring much faster.

Thank you in advance.

All the best!

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Interior design - creating clouds in glass tank
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 03:48:07 PM »
Although not the exact solution you suggested.
Maybe lava lamp methodology might be used.

Offline peer_gynt

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 06:50:03 PM »
Yes, it is not really what am I looking for, but I will continue to research in that direction.

Thank you for the help.

P. S. Also, if anyone knows some other resources where I can find information, please tell me

Offline ATMyller

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-6
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 03:38:34 AM »
I think you can achieve that kind of a visual effect much easier with couple of billboard size electronic ink displays.
Chemists do it periodically on table.

Sponsored Links