March 29, 2024, 06:50:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Fe + NiSo4 = Ni + FeSo4  (Read 5345 times)

Offline nicamarvin

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
Fe + NiSo4 = Ni + FeSo4
« on: October 09, 2015, 12:40:40 PM »
Does NiSo4 precipitates as elemental Ni when an Iron Nail(Fe) is added to an aqueous solution? I have seen CuSo4 precipitating or coatig the iron nail before but was not sure if the same would happen with NiSo4? have any of you done it?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Fe + NiSo4 = Ni + FeSo4
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 12:53:54 PM »
Its nice to have you back, nicamarvin:  8)

Briefly, I'm not sure if you can get nickel metal to plate out that way, but I'm pretty sure that without other chemicals, you won't get a smooth durable coating.  Even the copper sulfate on iron trick is a little bit hit or miss.

What you may be looking for is electroless nickel plating: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroless_nickel_plating
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline nicamarvin

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 10:28:24 AM »
Its nice to have you back, nicamarvin:  8)

Briefly, I'm not sure if you can get nickel metal to plate out that way, but I'm pretty sure that without other chemicals, you won't get a smooth durable coating.  Even the copper sulfate on iron trick is a little bit hit or miss.

What you may be looking for is electroless nickel plating: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroless_nickel_plating
thats exactly what I want to do, electroless plate nickel or cobalt using nothing more than Nickel sulfate or cobalt sulfate, I have been spray on Chroming for years now(Spray on Silver really) which is another form of electroless plating(autocatalytic) now I have just started using spray on copper ontop and while its a modified a displacement plating(Copper sulfate + iron Powder) the finish is superb(Mirror copper effect) I've been thinking of using Cobalt or nickel ontop of this layer of Copper mirror, remember this are only for decorative purposes none of this parts will see heavy wearing,

TACHO LEY

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 02:08:56 PM »
how I can be able to get in touch with NICAMARVIN?
I have troubles doing spray crhome.

thanks.

TACHO LEY

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 02:12:14 PM »
I need help.

Sponsored Links