April 23, 2024, 02:52:19 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need Help Extracting/Isolating Active Ingredients in Medication  (Read 1928 times)

Offline dlphnsjk

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi all, I need some help extracting/isolating the active ingredients in Benadryl Allergy medication and quantifying them for my upper level chemistry lab in college. The active ingredients are acetaminophen (pKa 9.38), Diphenhydramine (pKa 8.98), and Pseudophedrine HCl (pKa 9.22). Because of the similar pKa's a liquid-liquid extraction will be hard. I want to run a TLC analysis as well to separate them based off of polarity but not sure what solvent to use (i was thinking a mixture of 10-15% MeOH in DCM).  Another method I was thinking about was solid phase extraction but also need help with this as well. This is really my first go at something like this so all help is welcomed! Our chemistry lab has all necessary equipment as well. Thanks in advanced!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Need Help Extracting/Isolating Active Ingredients in Medication
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 06:30:23 AM »
You can Google those ingredients and find some published analytical methods that you can try to build a plan around.  We often tell people, on this board, to try Google first.  But in this case, its even more appropriate -- even in industry, if we have to analyze an unknown product, we don't have to guess, most things have been done before, and you really can find the answers one Google search away.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline dlphnsjk

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Need Help Extracting/Isolating Active Ingredients in Medication
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 07:32:35 AM »
Unfortunately there is not one specifically for these 3 active ingredients

Sponsored Links