April 19, 2024, 05:59:46 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Soil pH and phosphorus  (Read 2292 times)

Offline jbolanos2015

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Soil pH and phosphorus
« on: October 22, 2015, 11:48:14 PM »
I'm a freshman and I conducted an experiment in Biology. My question in the experiment was:
How do different pH levels in water affect plant growth?
It was an acid rain experiment on Marigolds. I had 4 6 packs of Marigolds. I labeled each pack A,B,C, and D. Plants in A received pH 7 water, plants in B received pH 6 water, plants in C received pH 8 water, and plants in D received pH 10 water. plants in A, C, and D thrived, while most plants in B started wilting and dying. I know that the pH of the water can affect the soil pH. I need a science concept of why most plants can't tolerate acidic pH levels. At alkaline pH values, phosphate ions tend to react quickly with calcium (Ca) and magnesium (Mg) to form less soluble compounds. At acidic pH values, phosphate ions react with aluminum (Al) and iron (Fe) to again form less soluble compounds. If that's true why did most of the plants in B die and the rest thrived? I need a concept explaining this.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Soil pH and phosphorus
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 03:01:36 AM »
What have you added to the water to controls its pH?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline jbolanos2015

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Soil pH and phosphorus
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 11:43:01 AM »
I used NaOH and HCl

Sponsored Links