April 25, 2024, 05:27:09 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Please Help  (Read 2925 times)

Dirkodendaal

Please Help
« on: October 23, 2015, 06:25:32 AM »
Hi,

I'm from South Africa and don't have a clue about Chemistry but I'm in need of someone that can help me with a few questions.

So here they are:

What are the following and does someone know where I could find these? 
Preferably in South Africa?
And do they name it something else that I can ask for?

HYDROXY-TERMINATED POLYMER(CDS750
HYDROXY-TERMINATED POLYMER(H48V750)
HYDROXY-TERMINATED POLYMER(CDS100)
HYDROXY-TERMINATED POLYMER(H48V100)

HYDROXY-CONTAINING POLYMER(LUVOTIX HT)

POLYESTER MICA 0.008 HEX

Thank you very  much

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Please Help
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 06:57:19 AM »
Everything here seems to be some sort of trade name.  I don't think its possible to help you with just this information.  Maybe if you described your application for us, someone would have some ideas.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Dirkodendaal

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 07:21:34 AM »
Will this help?

All that I have.

Are all Silicone oils the same? suppose not?

The hydroxy-terminated polymer is a polymer whose ends are provided with OH groups. The cross-linking agent, which preferably contains H+ ions, reacts therewith under hydrolysis, i.e. the separation of water. In practical trials that are presented in Table 1, a number of different hydroxy-terminated polymers have been employed. CDS 750 is a hydroxy-terminated silicon oil of a viscosity of 750 cP. H48V750 is another supplier's designation of the same substance. CDS 100 and H48V100, respectively, constitute a hydroxy-terminated silicon oil whose viscosity is 100 cP. Its included polymer chains are shorter and the strands or threads 15, 18 which are formed are shorter before breaking compared with CDS 750 and H48V750, respectively. Many of the properties of CDS 100 and H48V100, respectively, may be considered as superior to those of CDS 750 and H48V750, respectively, for the practical applications under consideration here, but one drawback is that CDS 100/H48V100 is considerably more expensive.
Even if many hydroxyl-terminated polymers may be employed, it has proved that hydroxyl- terminated silicon oil offers major advantages. On the one hand, a binder 3 will be obtained which has an extremely good internal adhesion, and, on the other hand, it displays very good adhesion to silicon and silicon rubber which may advantageously be employed for surface treatment of the particles 2.
A further ingredient that is advantageously employed in the binder, while not being absolutely necessary, is a hydroxy-containing polymer. Like the hydroxy-terminated polymer, it contains OH groups which may react with the cross-linking agent, but these groups need not be placed at the ends of the molecules. One such polymer which has been employed in practical trials is hydrogenated ricin oil, marketed under the designation Luvotix HT. This polymer is a fatty acid which has one OH group on the 12th carbon atom. Some of its favorable properties are that it binds with pigment that possibly be added, that it is configurationally stable and that it is quite economical. In a combination with CDS 750 as hydroxy-terminated polymer, the positive properties of CDS 100 will be attained at the same time as its drawbacks are reduced or wholly obviated.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 10:10:00 AM »
OK, a quick Google of that block of text leads me to this patent:  http://www.google.com/patents/US7862894

You want to make this toy detailed in this older posting:  http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=70895.msg255818#msg255818

So read that thread.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links