April 25, 2024, 11:50:13 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Request for help regarding the hydrolysis of paracetamol  (Read 1976 times)

Offline feavfas

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Request for help regarding the hydrolysis of paracetamol
« on: November 11, 2015, 09:27:47 AM »
I am trying to measure the effect of pH on the rate of hydrolysis of paracetamol/acetaminophen. For my experiment, I was initially planning on leaving the paracetamol to undergo hydrolysis in acidic solutions for a fixed amount of time, then quenching it with cold water. After that pipette out 20cm3 and titrate it with 0.1mol/dm3 ammonium cerium(IV) sulfate, but that is too expensive. Hence, I thought about using hydrogen peroxide as the oxidising agent, with ferroin indicator. Will it work? Does this work, and if it does, what is the theory behind it, other than the fact that it is a strong oxidising agent. If it does not work, what are the alternatives which I can use. Be it changing the procedure, or just changing the chemicals required. Thanks in advance!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Request for help regarding the hydrolysis of paracetamol
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 07:53:45 AM »
I'm not an expert on this procedure, some points I can offer:

I am trying to measure the effect of pH on the rate of hydrolysis of paracetamol/acetaminophen. For my experiment, I was initially planning on leaving the paracetamol to undergo hydrolysis in acidic solutions for a fixed amount of time, then quenching it with cold water.

This part is clear and easy to understand.

After that pipette out 20cm3 and titrate it with 0.1mol/dm3 ammonium cerium(IV) sulfate, but that is too expensive.

I don't understand what this part of the procedure is for.

Hence, I thought about using hydrogen peroxide as the oxidising agent, with ferroin indicator. Will it work?

How did you determine this was an option for whatever reaction you expected above?

Does this work, and if it does, what is the theory behind it, other than the fact that it is a strong oxidising agent. If it does not work, what are the alternatives which I can use. Be it changing the procedure, or just changing the chemicals required. Thanks in advance!

Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links