March 29, 2024, 01:25:28 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Extracting caffeine from a dissolved solution (grapefruit juice)?  (Read 1622 times)

Offline IBtrying

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I need to dissolve a caffeine pill in grapefruit juice, do an experiment (which is irrelevant to my question), and then extract the caffeine somehow so it can be massed. I've tried using coffee filters, but the accuracy is too low. Is there any chemical substance that is mostly insoluble to grapefruit juice, but is a solvent to caffeine, that I could use to alienate the caffeine? Any other suggestions that I'm not thinking of that are quicker than evaporation, or would speed up evaporation?
Thanks!

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Extracting caffeine from a dissolved solution (grapefruit juice)?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 09:35:06 AM »
I would try ethyl acetate or methylene chloride. Be aware that you may extract other organic substances from the grapefruit juice into the organic phase, though. For best accuracy, you'd probably want to purify the organic phase chromatographically.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links