March 28, 2024, 09:11:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Measuring Hypochlorous Acid and Hypochlorite Ions  (Read 1912 times)

Offline B-Evans

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Measuring Hypochlorous Acid and Hypochlorite Ions
« on: November 24, 2015, 09:02:42 AM »
I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. I need to know if there is a way to accurately measure the amount of Hypochlorous Acid in a solution?

I run a small dairy farm and we have been using a product for cleaning and lately it doesn't seem to be working as well. I know it has both Hypochlorous Acid and Hypochlorite Ions in it and the ratio of these two is what determines how well it works. The ratio needs be higher on the Hypochlorous Acid side. The company we buy it from is not helpful so I am trying to figure it out on my own. We are thinking maybe the ratio has gotten out of wack because the pH seems to be higher now. So maybe adding an acidifier to it would bring the pH down and create more Hypochlorous Acid?

Any assistance would be helpful!

Thank you...Bob

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Measuring Hypochlorous Acid and Hypochlorite Ions
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 10:45:06 AM »
Briefly, your instincts are correct.  Lowering the pH would make more of the hypochlorite as hypochlorous acid.  There are testing kits sold that would help you.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline B-Evans

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Measuring Hypochlorous Acid and Hypochlorite Ions
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 02:13:14 PM »
Thanks Arkcon for the reply. Can you or anyone else recommend a testing kit that would help me with this? I have done some searching and haven't found anything that fits the bill...however, it may be that I just don't know if it will work.

So any guidance would be appreciated on a test kit that would work.

Thanks...Bob

Sponsored Links