March 29, 2024, 03:50:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Problem with the solubility of powdered amino acid in water  (Read 2294 times)

Offline khorn06

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Problem with the solubility of powdered amino acid in water
« on: November 25, 2015, 08:53:22 PM »
Hello everyone,

To start, a little background, I have recently started to create my own supplements drink and just put together a bunch of different powdered amino acids. I had assumed that all the amino acids I bought in powdered form would dissolve in water. All other amino acid drinks just use water and dissolve fine. I was hoping someone could help me figure out which one is not dissolving or fully dissolving. Is there a way to make them dissolve better without having to heat anything up.

I hope I can give enough information. But if I had to take I guess I would have to assume maybe the L-Histidine HCL or the L-Lysine HCL. Only because those powders had looked a bit more crystal like than powder like and the little particles floating around in the water are definitely crystals. They kind of look like tiny tiny snow flakes.

This is a list of ingredients I put in it with the corresponding amounts [in grams] that is in each bottle of water. There is also approximately 1000 mL of water in the bottle.

L-Arginine (AAKG)         0.90  [g]
L-Histadine HCL         0.24  [g]
L-Isoleucine            0.48  [g]
L-Leucine            0.95  [g]
L-Lysine HCL         0.73  [g]
L-Methionine         0.25  [g]
L-Phenylalanine         0.48  [g]
L-Threonine            0.36  [g]
L-Tryptophan         0.09  [g]
L-Valine            0.63  [g]
L-Glutamine            0.43  [g]

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Problem with the solubility of powdered amino acid in water
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 11:45:30 AM »
We typically do not answer this type of question due to forum rules.
Click on the link near the top center of the forum page.
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting.
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=65859.0

Offline Intanjir

• Mole Snacks: +45/-1
Re: Problem with the solubility of powdered amino acid in water
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 02:22:55 PM »
It is not a medicine or cosmetic, just some standard amino acids. I don't see the harm in this particular case as long the ingredients are sold as fit for consumption.

If you don't want to use heat the most straightforward other way to increase the rate of dissolution is to increase the surface area, ie grind it up!
Being that you can see structure with your naked eye the particles are large enough that you should be able to get quite a lot of improvement.
Do you have a coffee grinder?

The solubility will depend on pH for those amino acids that will absorb or release a proton.
I would guess glutamine is the culprit assuming that your solution is slightly acidic.

This paper has a nice chart of the pH dependence.
http://pac.iupac.org/publications/pac/pdf/1997/pdf/6905x0935.pdf

Sponsored Links