April 20, 2024, 02:19:52 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Anthocyanin Lab Project Help  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Kaku52002

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Anthocyanin Lab Project Help
« on: November 29, 2015, 12:52:59 PM »
Hi chemical forums  :D,

Let's say I had a type of anthocyanin, for example un-acylated anthocyanin found in red grapes, and I had another type of anthocyanin, for example acylated anthocyanin found in red sweet potatoes, and I put both of them in separate vials with a pH of 3. And I kept them there for 48 hours. Then I took the samples out of their environment (the vials). How could I measure the anthocyanin content left in each sample assuming that when they went into their vials (in the beginning), their anthocyanin contents were equal?

Thank you so much!  ;D

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Anthocyanin Lab Project Help
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 02:21:45 PM »
I'd like to welcome you, Kaku52002: to the Chemical Forums.  But I'd like to ask you to read the Forum Rules{click}.  We'd like to see your attempt at this problem.

You've written the beginnings of an interesting experiment.  Have you learned anything recently in class regarding antocyanins, or in laboratory practicals regarding some analytical methods?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Kaku52002

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Anthocyanin Lab Project Help
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 08:33:27 PM »
Right! I'm sorry, I sort of skimmed over the rules. I will go and read them thoroughly now.

But no, I have not learned about this in class or done any labs on this.

However, I suppose what you would want to do is put both samples into other vials (each with their own vials) into a spectrophotometer and see the concentration of the anthocyanin via the pH differential method (which is what I just stated, I believe).

Sponsored Links