March 29, 2024, 04:20:52 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: First time buying glassware -- what should I get?  (Read 2225 times)

Offline BusyBoredom

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
First time buying glassware -- what should I get?
« on: November 30, 2015, 07:59:46 PM »
So you have $300 and an empty room with a table. What should you buy?

I loved chemistry in high school and still find myself trying random things (electroplating things or making colored flames, for instance). Unfortunately, I've been using my stove as a hot plate and old cups as beakers, so I'm not well outfitted. I'd love to be able to do some fun distillations and titrations. 

I expect to pay more than $100, would like to stay around $200 for now, and have a max budget of $300. What equipment would you recommend I start out with, and where should I get it?

Side note: This is my first post here, so if there's anything about my post I could improve, constructive criticism is welcome.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: First time buying glassware -- what should I get?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 10:40:03 PM »
So you have $300 and an empty room with a table. What should you buy?

I loved chemistry in high school and still find myself trying random things (electroplating things or making colored flames, for instance). Unfortunately, I've been using my stove as a hot plate and old cups as beakers, so I'm not well outfitted. I'd love to be able to do some fun distillations and titrations. 

I expect to pay more than $100, would like to stay around $200 for now, and have a max budget of $300. What equipment would you recommend I start out with, and where should I get it?

Side note: This is my first post here, so if there's anything about my post I could improve, constructive criticism is welcome.

Welcome aboard
I hope some others will respond
but some of my thoughts
One of the reasons we use standard lab glassware is the ability to handle heat changes
Additionally, it makes it so you might not mix up household uses with lab uses
On the other hand if you keep the lab glassware segregated and you have non-stressful use then I can see using other than lab glassware.

We have several posts in the forum suggesting how to equip labs to include safety equipment which is more important.
Try using the search facility on the forum
This should hold you until others chime in

side note response = We do have forum rules
Click on the link near the top center of the forum page.
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting.
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=65859.0

Sponsored Links