April 18, 2024, 07:31:31 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: formula of kaolinite  (Read 3951 times)

Offline Rudy Angelo

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
formula of kaolinite
« on: November 30, 2015, 10:49:45 PM »
A question for all you chemists. I am not much into chemistry as I am actually a ceramicist which has led me to do some research out of curiosity of the material which I use daily (clay). I was told that the formula for the "perfect" clay is
 Al2O2 2SiO2 2H2O as I was looking into this formula I discovered that it is the formula for Kaolinite (plus water) but I also found it most often listed as being Al2O3 2SiO2 2H2O the obvious difference being 2 or 3 oxygen molecules in aluminum. I cant seem to find anything specific as to the difference between aluminum oxides with 2 or 3 oxygen molecules. So I am asking how they might differ and affect the "perfect" clay? Could it be different based on the geological processes that cause the formation of clay from alumina-silicate minerals?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: formula of kaolinite
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 11:43:07 PM »
A question for all you chemists. I am not much into chemistry as I am actually a ceramicist which has led me to do some research out of curiosity of the material which I use daily (clay). I was told that the formula for the "perfect" clay is
 Al2O2 2SiO2 2H2O as I was looking into this formula I discovered that it is the formula for Kaolinite (plus water) but I also found it most often listed as being Al2O3 2SiO2 2H2O the obvious difference being 2 or 3 oxygen molecules in aluminum. I cant seem to find anything specific as to the difference between aluminum oxides with 2 or 3 oxygen molecules. So I am asking how they might differ and affect the "perfect" clay? Could it be different based on the geological processes that cause the formation of clay from alumina-silicate minerals?

Welcome to our forum
From WIKI
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaolinite
The chemical formula for kaolinite as used in mineralogy is Al2Si2O5(OH)4,[3] however, in ceramics applications the formula is typically written in terms of oxides, thus the formula for kaolinite is Al2O3·2SiO2·2H2O.[10] Cement chemist notation is even more terse: AS2H2, with the oxides represented as A = Al2O3, S = SiO2, H = H2O.[citation needed]
I work with pottery a great deal and never seen
Al2O2 2SiO2 2H2O
I usually have seen
Al2O3·2SiO2·2H2O
Since Oxygen usually has an oxidation state of -2
then in the
Al2O2
the Aluminium would have an oxidation state of +2
whereas in the
Al2O3
the Aluminium would have an oxidation state of +3
The oxidation state of +3 is the most common for Aluminium (from WIKI)
It would be interesting for you to post a link that says otherwise

I would also note that when you posted your formulas you left out the dot notation between
the silica and alumina and water
This dot represents the special arrangement of the compound.

Offline Rudy Angelo

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 10:59:03 AM »
Forgive my oversight in leaving out the dot notation in my formula.
You are right that it is not common and hard to find any reference to kaolinite as
Al2O2·2SiO2·2H2O
It was one of my ceramics professors that had given me that specific formula.
One of the only other references I am able to find is here.
" natural kaolinite (Al2O2·2SiO2·2H2O)" http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24794043
It was the discrepancy in what my professor had told me and the majority of information I found that led me to wonder what the difference was and how, if at all it would physically affect the material.

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 12:02:20 PM »
According to Wikipedia (and other web info) "The chemical formula for kaolinite is Al2Si2O5(OH)4 however, in ceramics applications the formula is typically written in terms of oxides, thus the formula for kaolinite is Al2O3·2SiO2·2H2O"

If you write out both structures you get Al2Si2H4O9 where as the structure you got from your professor of Al2O2·2SiO2·2H2O = Al2Si2H4O8

As there is no such thing as Al2O2 I would guess one of you has made a transcription error at some point.

Offline Rudy Angelo

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 01:10:31 PM »
As I have noted I am not a chemist nor do I know much about it but I have found some (not much at all) information stating that aluminum can exist as Al2O2 apparently called dialuminum dioxide. http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/16684237
Maybe this is not a natural form of aluminum?
This is all very interesting to me even though I may not understand it completely.
Thank you all for the information and links.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 02:19:13 PM »
If it exists at all (there are compounds that are listed in databases despite the fact we were never able to synthesize them) it is probably a dimer of AlO, which is itself pretty exotic and was observed only in gaseous phase in very low pressures. Al2O3 is the only stable aluminum oxide.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Rudy Angelo

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 03:21:26 PM »
That makes sense, Thank you for the clarification. 

Sponsored Links