April 19, 2024, 07:00:46 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need help with a calculation  (Read 2281 times)

Offline curiousmedic

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Need help with a calculation
« on: January 04, 2016, 09:19:25 PM »
Hi first time poster,

So my flatmate and I are stumped trying to calculate a theoretical yield. We were discussing methods a subject one could use to thwart integrity tests used in urine drug screening. As you guys you probably know drug users can dilute their urine through over hydration in order to allow urinary concentrations of detectible metabolites to drop below detectable levels. Although as a result the specific gravity of the urine sample as well the creatinine concentrations are low and thus the specimen is considered diluted. Drinking electrolyte drinks and loading creatine are methods commonly employed to thwart dilution detection. However these techniques have had little success in elevating urinary creatinine levels.

So my friend and I both know that creatine is converted into creatinine in aqueous solution at room temp and neutral pH very slowly, but we also know that increasing temperature and decreasing pH can rapidly elevate the rate of degradation. We wanted to calculate how much creatinine would be produced at pH of 2 and temperature near boiling for an hour. This was to determine if the addition of lemon juice to unbuffered creatine powder then heated inside a vessel placed in a pot of hot water would effectively elevate urinary creatinine so aid to drug test thwarters.

We tried researching it online and got some info on the effect pH as low as 3.5 and some info on lower temperatures, but ultimately we have no idea how to calculate this. Sorry if this stupid, we're undergraduate medical students and chem/biochem is not as strong as we wish it was.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Need help with a calculation
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 04:32:56 AM »
I'm going to lock this topic.  We're not here to help people evade drug screens, and self-medication topics aren't allowed, and we've no idea how safe your dosing with potential metabolites is.  If you want to know the answer, determine it with the formula from a textbook, or try to work out the problem theoretically, and ask it again.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links