April 25, 2024, 07:56:35 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Heat Exchanger Selection  (Read 3582 times)

Offline rosneft

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Heat Exchanger Selection
« on: January 06, 2016, 02:52:39 PM »
Hi,

I am a graduate chemical engineer and currently investigating designs for Recirculating Aquaculture System (RAS). The system will be based in the Middle East with temperature variations of 0 - 55 °C. The system temperature needs to remain at 26 °C or close to it with no sudden changes. The cooling and sometimes heating needs to be very cost effective to make the project profitable. The water needs to recirculate to keep the system nutrient rich as well as reduce water and energy costs.

I have been looking at heat pump systems, however does anyone have any thoughts about low cost cooling/heating technologies?

All ideas are welcome. I have very limited design experience and I'm returning from an upstream PVT oil background.

​Many Thanks

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Heat Exchanger Selection
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 07:09:50 PM »
Hi rosneft, welcome!

Do you know more about the temperature fluctuations? Because, if the temperature is guaranteed to pass by 26°C at some time of the day or the night all the year, then the cheap solution is to have enough water, thermally insulated enough, and send it to an exchanger with air only when the air has an adequate temperature.

Or could you find deep seawater colder than 26°C, and if your project is big enough, pump this cold water to a heat exchanger when needed?

More generally, do you mean cheap procurement cost, or energy-efficient? What's the size? Do you have good sunlight everyday for sure?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 04:06:12 PM »
I wonder if a water tower cooler system may have some use.

Offline Charles CL

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 08:03:08 PM »
This book may help you:

[Lawrence,K.W., Norman, C. P. & Yung, T. H. (2005). Advanced Air and Noise Pollution Control. Totowa: Humana Press.]

Nice to chat

Offline Shivambi.c

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 04:47:07 AM »
I don't have any idea on what kind of heat exchanger you must select. But once you finalize with your decision, I recommend you to refer Polygon Chemicals that perform complete chemical cleaning of heat exchanger.

Sponsored Links