April 26, 2024, 03:34:20 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Quick Group Theory Problem  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Mark S 2014

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Quick Group Theory Problem
« on: January 08, 2016, 02:45:39 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Just going over a couple of inorganic past papers on group theory. When I check the C2v and D2h character tables to find the representations of the d orbitals, I can't seem to find x2-y2. However, there is x2, y2, z2. My guess is that x2, y2, z2 can be interpreted as x2-y2 and z2. I have flicked through recommended books but nothing seems to give me a definite answer, can anyone confirm this for me ?

Thanks.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Quick Group Theory Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 05:32:48 PM »
Confirmed. In C2v, dx2-y2 orbital has A1 symmetry. But you should be able to determine this even without those extra columns in the character table, just by analyzing how the orbital polarity transforms under the C2v symmetry operations. You'll notice that none of the symmetry elements change the orbital polarity, which is compatible with A1 symmetry representation (1 1 1 1). A good exercise is to confirm that dxy has A2 symmetry using this same kind of treatment.

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links