April 20, 2024, 01:39:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Redox reactions  (Read 2544 times)

Offline Timbo_baggins

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Redox reactions
« on: January 17, 2016, 09:14:37 AM »
Hi everyone. I would like to know how burning something organic or non-organic is an example of a redox reaction. I supppse i need to understand what would be oxidised, reduced etc but this is the only information i'm given to work with. Very stuck, please *delete me* Thanks

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Redox reactions
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 10:32:47 AM »
Well let's take something like combustion of methane: reaction of methane with oxygen to form water and carbon dioxide.

What is the formal charge on each atom before the reaction and after? E.g., look at the oxygen atoms before the reaction (i.e., O2 gas) and after the reaction (in water and carbon dioxide). Does the formal charge of oxygen change? Can you find any other atoms that formally change charge?

You should then write a balanced equation for the reaction and convince yourself that all the formal charge changes balance out to zero.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline mikasaur

• Mole Snacks: +27/-1
  • Chemist in training
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 01:18:10 AM »
You should then write a balanced equation for the reaction and convince yourself that all the formal charge changes balance out to zero.

This is so often a good first step when it comes to solving and/or understanding any problem. In this case, as Corribus says, look at how the formal charges change for each atom on both sides of the equation.
Or you could, you know, Google it.

Offline Timbo_baggins

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 01:54:17 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to help me. It's really appreciated

Sponsored Links